Sign in with
Your question

TRIM and XP

Last response: in Storage
March 26, 2010 1:31:34 AM

Hi All,

I am planning to invest in a 80GB Intel X25-M SSD. I run XP mainly to support the legacy games me and my friends play (AOE, AOM, CS etc). I have not been hearing/reading about TRIM support for XP from microsoft. But Intel seems to be releasing a TRIM driver that will replace the generic AHCI driver. So is it safe to assume that my (to-be) SSD drive will work fine and not have slowdowns, due to lack of TRIM support, as documented in the anandtech article.

I am hoping that this post in the right subforum. I am sorry if not. I want sure if this fitted into the Flash Drive subforum.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Santosh

More about : trim

April 28, 2010 11:10:31 PM

Santosh,

Download and install the SSD Toolbox from Intel.

They suggest you use it once a week, it does work!

I'm still using XP and it does seem to speed up the drive after running. I can't speak for the other drives, but the Intel x25-M was the best investment I ever made for performance. I still use a second HD for data and archive.

Please be sure you get the newer model "G2", not the G1. G2 supports SSD Toolbox, G1 does not.

Best,

Tom
a c 415 G Storage
April 29, 2010 6:05:27 AM

The Intel driver you're talking about is the RAID driver for the ICH-series chipsets. It doesn't do TRIM on it's own, what they've recently changed is that it will pass TRIM commands from the OS through to a non-RAID SSD connected to the chipset when it's in RAID mode.

So the upshot is that the TRIM support has to come from within the OS itself, a driver alone won't get you anything. And only Windows 7 supports trim - neither Vista nor XP can do it.

If you're using XP then follow Tom's advice and use Intel's SSD Toolbox utility.
!