santoshnavale

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Hi All,

I am planning to invest in a 80GB Intel X25-M SSD. I run XP mainly to support the legacy games me and my friends play (AOE, AOM, CS etc). I have not been hearing/reading about TRIM support for XP from microsoft. But Intel seems to be releasing a TRIM driver that will replace the generic AHCI driver. So is it safe to assume that my (to-be) SSD drive will work fine and not have slowdowns, due to lack of TRIM support, as documented in the anandtech article.

I am hoping that this post in the right subforum. I am sorry if not. I want sure if this fitted into the Flash Drive subforum.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Santosh

tommyt56

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Santosh,

Download and install the SSD Toolbox from Intel.

They suggest you use it once a week, it does work!

I'm still using XP and it does seem to speed up the drive after running. I can't speak for the other drives, but the Intel x25-M was the best investment I ever made for performance. I still use a second HD for data and archive.

Please be sure you get the newer model "G2", not the G1. G2 supports SSD Toolbox, G1 does not.

Best,

Tom

The Intel driver you're talking about is the RAID driver for the ICH-series chipsets. It doesn't do TRIM on it's own, what they've recently changed is that it will pass TRIM commands from the OS through to a non-RAID SSD connected to the chipset when it's in RAID mode.

So the upshot is that the TRIM support has to come from within the OS itself, a driver alone won't get you anything. And only Windows 7 supports trim - neither Vista nor XP can do it.

If you're using XP then follow Tom's advice and use Intel's SSD Toolbox utility.