Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Video
  • SLI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 17, 2008 9:21:31 PM

i have 3dmark06 advanced and SLI 9800GTX+, so i run it and i get a score of 13,618 and i just watched a video on youtube where a guy ran the benchmark with SLI 9800GTX+ and he gets over 18,000 WTF! i have my sli enabled and v-sync is off and in the 3dmark program i click on system details and it shows linked display adapters is false. its not seeing my SLI for some reason. if anyone can assist with this and knows how to get the program to see the SLI thanks in advance.

here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LETjwCO3Eek

More about : pissing

November 17, 2008 9:24:50 PM

Assuming you already have the hardware set up properly (sli bridge connected, etc), go into Nvidia Control Panel and enable SLI.

You can use gpuz to see current status.
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
a c 88 U Graphics card
November 17, 2008 9:26:33 PM

remove one of the cards to see if it makes a difference. so you can see if the sli is working or not...

and dual vs quad matters a lot in 3dmark overall score. care to post your complete system specs and detailed 3dmark scores as well??
Related resources
November 17, 2008 11:26:47 PM

If you have an AMD and he has a Intel, that is why there is a difference.

He has a e8500 OC at 4.1, if you dont, there you go noob.
November 17, 2008 11:32:30 PM

to kari, yeah i was thinking i am cpu bottlenecked but a 5000 point difference doesnt make sense. anyway my system specs are:

250GB HDD SATA
3GB DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz
SLI 9800GTX+'s overclocked to 770/1150/1944
Intel Q9300 (quad-core) overclocked from 2.5GHz(stock) to 2.7GHz

i cant oc my cpu any more because of the mobo. it doesnt support yorkfield processor overclocking. now to explain this because i did oc to 2.7GHz. i can oc the cpu by using nvidia control panel but only to 2.7GHz, if i change ANY of the voltages the system will freeze. if i go into the bios and apply the oc the system will not post. even if i take the nvidia control panel settings and put them in the bios (no voltage change) the system wont post. so the absolute only way to oc is the "ncp" but only stock voltages and only upto 2.7GHz. thats the catch with dell, they say "oh yeah you can oc your cpu but not the yorkfields". i shouldve just gotten the Q6600 so i could oc but i got the 45nm chip so it would run cooler.
as for 3dmark scores:

total score = 13,733
sm 2.0 score = 5,146
sm 3.0/HDR = 6,817
cpu score = 3,756

it weird it sees my cpu oc but not my SLI, i have SLI enabled and there is a SLI bridge on the cards and SLI is working. i can tell by playing crysis at all high settings because i get avg framerate of 46 and when SLI disabled i can barely get over 32 fps so something is wrong or im super cpu bottlenecked. any help would be nice and is thanked
November 17, 2008 11:35:40 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
If you have an AMD and he has a Intel, that is why there is a difference.

He has a e8500 OC at 4.1, if you dont, there you go noob.

your such a dick roadrunner, i watch and read your replies to people who have genuine problems and all you can do is be a smart ass towards the other person. your probably one of those people who dont have or have very little friends because of your assholeness, so do my a favor and dont reply to my questions. ive never found your answers to help anyone who posts a problem they are having
November 18, 2008 2:04:14 AM

What mobo do you have exactly? Are you not getting SLI in dual x16 mode by chance? Curious if you are in x8/x8 or something.

Have you checked for BIOS updates? I haven't heard of not being able to OC only the yorkfields. The Q9300 shouldn't take as much voltage as the Q6600 anyway.
November 18, 2008 2:16:39 AM

SpinachEater said:
What mobo do you have exactly? Are you not getting SLI in dual x16 mode by chance? Curious if you are in x8/x8 or something.

Have you checked for BIOS updates? I haven't heard of not being able to OC only the yorkfields. The Q9300 shouldn't take as much voltage as the Q6600 anyway.

yeah man i run at 8x/8x but that shouldnt make a 5,000 point difference. its because of my cpu, im bottlenecked by it. i looked around at other peoples 3dmark06 results on the futuremark/orb website and found a result where someone had SLI 9800GTX+ and a Q6600 running at 2.6GHz and i slightly beat them. so its because of my limited cpu clock speed that i can only get 13,887 in 3dmark06 which is a shame because i know this pc is so much better than what that benchmark shows. so ill just have to deal with it until i upgrade to a Q6600 or an overclockable cpu. and the mobo btw is dell/nvidia 650i SLI mobo. the dell part makes it run at 8x/8x. if i had proper diagrams in my manuals i would replace the mobo and get one that runs at 16x/16x and CAN oc a yorkfield cpu.

ive researched SLI 16x/16x vs 8x/8x and the performance loss is only about 5% so im not real worried about that, its not enough to bother me cause its not alot. running at 8x is using 95% bus speed so not to worried.
November 18, 2008 4:26:27 AM

It matters when AA and AF are running at higher resolutions. You get bigger losses than without them. You know that already though :sarcastic:  . Yeah, you are right though. 3DMark loves CPU clocks. You pretty much said it though.

xxcoop42xx said:
so its because of my limited cpu clock speed that i can only get 13,887 in 3dmark06 which is a shame because i know this pc is so much better than what that benchmark shows. .

It is a bummer that 3dMark scores short hands you but it is a really CPU dependent test. I wouldn't worry so much about the score if you can get what you need out of games.

Hmm, so it is a Dell board. Sounds like trouble. Have you looked at the Dell updates/drivers page for a new BIOS version? What is your computer model?
November 18, 2008 5:15:36 AM

No one mentioned this yet so I just thought I throw it out there: Do you have drivers installed for the motherboard and graphics cards? If so are they recent?

It's probably taken care of, but you never know.
November 18, 2008 6:10:41 AM

Let's see with his memory the way it is there's 1 problem. He's got 3 gb of memory which isn't running in dual channel mode. He hasn't gave us the motherboard model so we are just speculating. 3 if that's a gaming Dell or HP computer, please tell us.
November 18, 2008 6:19:13 AM

Q9300 to a Q6600 is a downgrade, not an upgrade. Your not serious about trying to get a Dell to run like someone elses system that they put together are you? Heck this is my score on 3dmark05 pro revision 3 overclocked at 3.2 ghz. and mine is a homebuilt by me and tuned by me.
http://service.futuremark.com/results/showSingleResult....
Your not going to get this with that Dell running it's memory in single channel mode.
The differences in the 2 scores is the resolutions I used.
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 18, 2008 6:24:58 AM

I would say its definatly your processor. 3dm 06 is well known to be very CPU centric and the differance between you at 2.7 and his at 4.1 is huge as far as the benchmark is concerned.
My own rig with a 4600 and a 3850 gains 1000 points by going from 2.4 to 2.7. Which if you take that as a set figure of 1000 points for 0.3 gain the math gives us a 4,500 points differamce for the 1.4 GHz differance, which is the amount he scores over your score. (yes i know its a bit more complicated than that but..)
Anyway its only an artificial benchmark, as long as you are doing ok in games i wouldnt let it worry you.

Mactronix
November 18, 2008 12:47:35 PM

i did state the mobo was a dell/nvidia custom 650i SLI mobo i believe, but that is what it is. yeah i do need to get 4 GB to replace the 3GB thats there so it can run dual channel. all my bios and drivers are recent and updated to the newest. the pc is a "gaming" pc its the XPS 630i. its a great pc but only after you tweak your own stuff like adding better gpu and ram and of course oc anything you can. i like it its worth what it cost in my eyes, it does what i want it to do and what it was made to do. thanks for all who took time to help out, bummer that im so cpu bottelnecked though (in the benchmark)

what is some good gaming ram? i was looking at this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (has better timings)

i dont really know what the 4-4-3-15 means but the platinum is lower than the fatality, any explanation would help
November 18, 2008 2:46:24 PM

So it is a 630i series but there is a 650i mobo...huh? I won't question the genius ways of Dell.

I saw this last night but didn't think it was the correct system. They do have a BIOS update. My guess is that they probably didn't update them to support 45nm CPU overclocking but it is worth a shot if you aren't on this version. If it adds "stability" perhaps you can OC a bit further and get more out of your system.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx...

Sys Specs for reading pleasure.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps630i/e...

*Edit: Yeah getting your RAM in dual channel and making sure it is running at least at DDR2 800 will help too. Did you make sure it is running at 400 through CPUz? Your RAM will downclock to DDR2 667 settings to match your 333FSB setting or what ever you have it set to at the moment if your BIOS doesn't set the ratios automatically. You need to investigate your BIOS and see what you can change on the RAM. In the worst case scenario you can only adjust the clocks, not the voltage or timings. If you can't change your timings then don't look at CAS 4 RAM. JDEC specs will have it default to CAS 5 and it will be utterly pointless to pay for CAS 4 since you won't run it at CAS 4. Yay JDEC! None of this may be an issue but I wouldn't trust Dell BIOS to give you any overclocking room.

I would actually just swap out your motherboard if you are planning on getting a Q6600. You have a good CPU...for the same price as the Q6600 you can get a better 750i mobo from EVGA or anyone other than Dell that will allow you to OC the CPU and RAM to a point where it would be better than your current system with a Q6600. Just a thought.
November 18, 2008 3:28:54 PM

xxcoop42xx said:

i dont really know what the 4-4-3-15 means but the platinum is lower than the fatality, any explanation would help

Lower timings theoretically make your RAM faster. The drawback is that the lower the latencies, the higher the voltages you need for your RAM which could = producing more heat and also shortening the lifetime if you go nuts and OC pretty high.

From Wiki

RAM Timing
RAM manufacturers typically list the recommended timing for their RAM as a series of four integers separated by dashes (e.g. 2-2-2-6 or 3-3-3-9 or 4-4-4-12 and so on). While there are many other settings related to RAM, these four integers refer to the following settings, which are typically listed in this order: CL - TRCD - TRP - TRAS.
CL = CAS Latency time: The time it takes between a command having been sent to the memory and when it begins to reply to it. It is the time it takes between the processor asking for some data from the memory and the memory returning it.
TRCD = DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: The number of clock cycles performed between activating the Row Access Strobe and the Column Access Strobe. This parameter relates to the time it takes to access stored data.
TRP = DRAM RAS# Precharge: The amount of time between the 'precharge' command and the 'active' command. The 'precharge' command closes memory that was accessed and the 'active' command signifies that a new read/write cycle can begin.
TRAS = Active to Precharge delay: The total time that will elapse between an active state and precharge state.
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 18, 2008 3:34:18 PM

^
I would have to agree. It would be utterly pointless investing more money in the system as is. The obvious thing is the MOBO replacement and if you look around and select a good board that is going to do the things you want, good spread of settings and will OC well, then you will get back more in performance than anything else you could do. Getting a Q6600 wouldnt make a differance either in fact yours is the better chip.

Mactronix
November 18, 2008 3:46:36 PM

thanks mactronix and spinacheater, you guys really helped out. i might look i might look into getting a better mobo eventually but i need to get christmas out f the way first. i am going to add the dual channel ram soon though and that will help a little. and i wasnt actually going to get a Q6600 because that would be just a waste and it would add more heat in my system because of 65nm chip compared to my 45nm chip. but thanks alot guys
November 18, 2008 4:58:58 PM

dell case's dont normally take a motherboard from another manufacturer, not unless the XPS is different from dell's other crap
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 18, 2008 8:05:14 PM

^
Yes they can be a pain, they seem to make things non standard on purpose. It may be something as subtle as the fixing holes for the board not lining up. There are things you can do like fit new stand offs but you would need to make sure none of the others that are left contact anything on the underside of the motherboard and short it out.
Take a close look at what you have and make sure any new parts are compatable.
If you need advice on anything else just ask.

Mactronix
!