Sign in with
Your question

How to overclock my Athlon X2 6400+ Black Edition

Last response: in Overclocking
February 12, 2010 9:14:42 AM

I can't OC my athlon X2 6400+ Black edition.I've tried everything,I have an air cooler(cooler master),and the highest clock I've been able to reach is 3.4 Ghz UNSTABLE!!!What's the best settings (core clock,voltage,Multiplier,etc...) to overclock my CPU?It's also interesting that even though this is a Black Edition CPU,it doesn't have UNLOCKED MULTIPLIER!!!I should also mention that CPU runs very hot,up to 80-85C on load and 40-50 idle.I've checked the CPU fan,Thermal paste,Everything...

I'd appreciate your help...

My system configuration is:

Mainboard: Gigabyte MA780G-UD3H AM2+(140Watt CPU supported)
CPU: Athlon X2 6400+ Black Edition @3.3Ghz
CPU cooler: Cooler master air cooler(I don't remeber the Model!!!)
Case: NZXT Tempest
RAM: 2x2GB UMAX DDR2 800
Graphic: Sapphire radeon 5850 1GB DDR5
HDD: 2500 GB(500+500+1500 non-raid)
Power: 600 watts
Monitor: SAMSUNG T220P
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
February 12, 2010 11:38:33 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Untill I know, the 6400+ ISN'T a BE (I had the same processor before my X4 955). You can read this to learn how to OC your processor,

P.D. Start to OC in little steps.
February 12, 2010 6:33:50 PM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Untill I know, the 6400+ ISN'T a BE (I had the same processor before my X4 955). You can read this to learn how to OC your processor,

P.D. Start to OC in little steps.

Thank you for your response saint19...

First of all there are two versions of 6400:

one is Normal 6400+ and the other is 6400+ Black edition!I don't know why they named it 6400 black edition,because it has locked multiplier,but IT DIDN'T HAVE a cooler inside the box,so I went to another 50 bucks to buy a custom air cooler...
I should also mention that when I bought this CPU 2 years ago,it was a hell of a monster,and was the ultimate amd CPU for overclockers...at that time there was no phenom,phenom II,core i5 or i7,so I picked this CPU in the hope of overclocking,but I was really disappointed...
Anyway,now I'm stock with this CPU and can't OC!!!I wasn't able to OC this CPU with my previous MOBO(Asus M2NE) and after an accident that I lost my old MOBO I went to this Gigabyte MA780G-UD3H in the hope of better OC,but I was disappointed again!!!

secondly,I maybe a newcomer in TOM's Hardware,But I'm not a newcomer in the hardware section!!! ;) 
Related resources
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
February 12, 2010 6:57:29 PM

Well, the "newcomer" was a warm welcome.

An read the lisk for OC the processor, is the process to OC a locked AMD processor like the 6400+.
April 15, 2010 9:10:48 PM

I myself am now considering overclocking my motherboard and CPU. My rig was put together with the intention of doing so in the future. Before I do this, I have an issue with temps. I am getting warnings about temps, although it has been solid as a rock for two years now. I have a scythe cooler with four heat-pipes. I have always just ignored the temp as it seems way too high to be real. I have overclocked the video card, and it has been stable forever as well. I have a good case with excellent airflow, and apart from the temp warning for the CPU, everything has been fine. I just want too make sure that before I embark on overclocking I am sure that my temps are not going to be an issue.
!