Graphics Card For Optiplex GX270

Reverb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Hi
Im looking to find a agp card for my Dell optiplex Gx270. It only has a 210 Watt Power Suply. Im not looking to play games on this machine, although i would like to be able to play Warrock, even on low settings. I would like to get a 128mb card if i can. It currently has onboard graphics Intel Extreme Graphics 2, Yes Horrible. I was wandering what would be the best to get for this machine. Will it run something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XFX-NVIDIA-128MB-GEFORCE-FX5200-LOW-PROFILE-AGP_W0QQitemZ200271132722QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200271132722&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I have a Intel Celeron 2,4Ghz Processor
1 gb of RAM
Running Windows Vista Home Basic
Standard Dell 210Watt Power Supply

Can someone please give me advise on which is the best to get for this system ?

Thanks
Reverb

Reverb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Anyone please ??

Sorry but i was wanting to get a card this week, so can someone help please

Thanks
Reverb :)

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Pretty much any AGP card without an external power connector should work power wise.
Performance is another story.
This probably your best best performance wise. It might play some old games at low resolutions and settings. WoW is probably do-able.

Review...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_2400_Pro/5.html

Expect slightly lower performance as the CPU in this is significantly faster than yours.

This card would work excellent as a media card though.

This is also an option...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121273

free copy of WoW too.

Reverb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Thanks For The Reply,

I found 256mb upwards graphics cards require 250watt or over or sometimes 300watt or over. Doesnt having lack of power cause the card to crash and stuff ?? Or Will i be ok to buy a 256mb card, as long as it doesnt have any additional power connectors on the card ?.

And, will i see a massive improvement if i was to get the card i sent a link to on my first post ?
Will this maybe play games like Call Of Duty (First One) ? at decent speed, im not looking to play games on it, but i do like to play some games now and again ?

If anyone else has any other suggestions in which i can buy for this computer, please post them :)

Thanks
Reverb

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
memory isn't really power hungry, it's the GPU and you won't find a powerful AGP, Low-Profile solution in this day and age, in fact you can barely find a low profile PCI-E 9600GSO and even that doesn't have a really big consumption numbers.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Memory isn't what determines the power consumption. Get one of hte above graphics cards. They will do the trick.
If you find that your computer crashes and stuff after installation of said card (highly unlikely) then buy another $20 300 watt power supply and you will be set with that machine.

Reverb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Yehh ok thanks for the replies :)

I think i will go for that one you sugested, 256mb card, thanks for you help

I will maybe order it tomorrow.

Cheers Reverb

Reverb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Then again, im gonna go with the 128mb one i first posted, it will do fine for me.
I will order a low profile bracket too for it.
I will order it tomorrow afternoon,

I should see an improvement yes ??
Not much of an improvement, but like i say, its not for any gaming at all.
Would it Vista Aero theme ?? smoothly ?

Thanks
Reverb

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
IMO I wouldn't bother running vista in that PC, I'm usually one of Vista's biggest supporters (especially 64-bit edition), but people should only run the OS if they have a computer that is up to the task (Decent dual core, 4GB of memory, and a decent GPU). There's not much you can do to that PC to run Vista comfortably.

The above is just a strong suggestion from my part, it's up to you. And to answer your question, I can't remember if the FX5200 was Vista certified, but the HD 3000 definitely are.

Reverb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Thanks For Reply

Im running vista Home basic, it doesnt run that bad on this computer, i like vista,
i mainly use this computer for web browsing, msn, Photoshop(CS3), music and thats it really.
So im not too bovered about having a big spec computer. This computer will do for what i use it for.

BTW it meets the requirements for vista, so, its ok, you dont really need a great computer to run it.

I might just go ahead and buy the one i said, i will still look about.

The thing is i dont want to get that HD3450 256mb and it wont work. I dont wanna buy a new psu, there pretty dear for the Optiplex Gx270.

I will keep searching and will order one later on tonight.
If you have anymore suggestions on what to buy, please add them

Cheers
Reverb

Reverb

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Ok,
Ordered the first one i said on my first post,
Also brought a XFX VGA and s-video low profile bracket

Thanks For the help,

I will post how it goes when it arrives

Thanks