Date Certain for Analog TV Shutoff ??

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

<http://broadcastengineering.com/newsletters/rfupdate/20050513/Joe-Barton-DTV-digital-analog-20050506/>

Other panel members seemed less enthusiastic about pulling
the plug on analog transmission. At least two said they did
not look forward to being in their offices, taking calls
from angry constituents, who will want to know why they can
no longer receive free over-the-air TV the day after the
switchoff.

---

Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
<http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>
4 answers Last reply
More about date analog shutoff
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    NO KIDDING!

    The last time I recall an "instant changeover" was when BBC-1 dropped the
    old 405 B&W system after BBC-2 had been broadcasting in PAL for some time,
    and the British had been notified/warned for years (?) that it was going to
    happen.

    Similarly...but with somewhat less trauma: Sweden changed from driving on
    the left to driving on the right...literally "over night"...but this too had
    been announced, planned, and road crews were ready to make the changes.

    It's gotta happen sometime...but the reluctance to already have gotten out
    ahead of this issue means it's going to take several more years before they
    can even begin to think about shutting down the current service.

    "K. B." <hotmail.com@lis2lis2> wrote in message
    > <http://broadcastengineering.com/newsletters/rfupdate/20050513/Joe-Barton-DTV-digital-analog-20050506/>
    >
    > Other panel members seemed less enthusiastic about pulling
    > the plug on analog transmission. At least two said they did
    > not look forward to being in their offices, taking calls
    > from angry constituents, who will want to know why they can
    > no longer receive free over-the-air TV the day after the
    > switchoff.
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Kirk Bayne
    > alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
    > <http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>
  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    K. B. wrote:
    > <http://broadcastengineering.com/newsletters/rfupdate/20050513/Joe-Barton-DTV-digital-analog-20050506/>
    >
    > Other panel members seemed less enthusiastic about pulling
    > the plug on analog transmission. At least two said they did
    > not look forward to being in their offices, taking calls
    > from angry constituents, who will want to know why they can
    > no longer receive free over-the-air TV the day after the
    > switchoff.
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Kirk Bayne
    > alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
    > <http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>

    From that same article...

    "During the questions from the audience, one broadcaster took the mic
    and sarcastically told Barton that broadcasters had failed Congress 10
    years ago when it was considering a digital transition deadline. He said
    broadcasters had failed to explain the importance of a “digital
    reception” deadline as part of digital transmission deadline."

    Barton held a meeting today on the subject which I attended. When I
    brought up the same subject of the need for a receiver standard and the
    facts that most receivers sold today will not meet any meaningful
    standard an engineer could set to paper with a straight face he took
    offence.

    He said that that was not what manufactures were telling him.

    Well what one manufacturer told his LA's at a meeting last week was
    this, paraphrased. They were demonstrating a solid state
    tuner/receiver/converter card that they said they could make for $40 in
    quantities of millions. This cost does not include IP royalties, a box
    or power supply, the cord, blinking lights and plastic front end, remote
    control, just the board with connectors for S-Video out, antenna in and
    composite (no HD this is just for converting to your analog TV)

    They then said that their OEM's would add all that and then include
    magins for sales, marketing and distribution bringing the sale price to $60.

    My estimate is more like $125 minimum but everyone there was eating this
    up. Why? Because $60 is the majic number that Motorola mentioned
    sometime back that they would make receivers for so everyone
    automatically and cynically has to match it.

    BTW a Motorola rep at the meeting today tried to shout me down by saying
    that Motorola has perfect 8-VSB receivers no problem today. Later
    talking to him outside he knew nothing.

    So the dreaming goes on. If Barton does not get some real world input
    his bill will crash and burn, dead on arrival. I was there because I
    really would not like that to happen but whenever DC hears anything they
    don't like they attack.

    Bob Miller
  3. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Basically commissions or indeed governments who have the responsibility to
    make changes should simply set a technically feasible date, subtract 3
    months and stick to it. Time to get back to totally ignoring complaints,
    pressure groups! Just deathly silence and get on with it. Those special
    interest groups that scream the loudest are like naughty little children
    throwing tantrums and spitting their dummies! Unfortunately most "mommies"
    give in for peace and quiet. Time to become leaders again and make
    decisions!! oh one other thing drown the lawyers!

    "K. B." <hotmail.com@lis2lis2> wrote in message
    > <http://broadcastengineering.com/newsletters/rfupdate/20050513/Joe-Barton-DTV-digital-analog-20050506/>
    >
    > Other panel members seemed less enthusiastic about pulling
    > the plug on analog transmission. At least two said they did
    > not look forward to being in their offices, taking calls
    > from angry constituents, who will want to know why they can
    > no longer receive free over-the-air TV the day after the
    > switchoff.
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Kirk Bayne
    > alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
    > <http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Weekend Guru wrote:
    > The last time I recall an "instant changeover" was when BBC-1 dropped the
    > old 405 B&W system after BBC-2 had been broadcasting in PAL for some time,
    > and the British had been notified/warned for years (?) that it was going to
    > happen.

    It was a very British sort of instant changeover! Started in 1969, and
    was finally completed in the mid 1980s. The old 405 line stuff was on
    VHF, and all the 625 line broadcasts in the UK are on UHF, so the two
    co-existed for years without needing to co-habit.

    There were some impressive overnight milestones, like the night that the
    whole ITV network (then a constellation of 16 seperately owned stations)
    switched the entire distribution/contribution network over to 625 line
    PAL from 405 line by simultaneously moving the 625/405 converters from
    the studio centers to main transmitter sites.

Digital TV TV Video Home Theatre