Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

at DOS prompt, I am being asked for a command to start windows xp. example:
C:\windows\________.com. does anyone know the command?

What are you on about.

"troy" <troy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB26C382-C286-4586-8CB3-D5E29DCE9969@microsoft.com...
> at DOS prompt, I am being asked for a command to start windows xp. example:
> C:\windows\________.com. does anyone know the command?

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

My friend has a Compaq laptop and her system crashed. She is in DOS at an A>
prompt and lack the command to get herself back into Windows. I was trying to
help by getting that command...

"David Candy" wrote:

> What are you on about.

> "troy" <troy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB26C382-C286-4586-8CB3-D5E29DCE9969@microsoft.com...
> > at DOS prompt, I am being asked for a command to start windows xp. example:
> > C:\windows\________.com. does anyone know the command?

null

troy wrote:
> My friend has a Compaq laptop and her system crashed. She is in DOS at an A>
> prompt and lack the command to get herself back into Windows. I was trying to
> help by getting that command...
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>

>>What are you on about.
>>
>>--
>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>>=================================================
>>"troy" <troy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB26C382-C286-4586-8CB3-D5E29DCE9969@microsoft.com...
>>
>>>at DOS prompt, I am being asked for a command to start windows xp. example:
>>>C:\windows\________.com. does anyone know the command?

If taking the floppy out of A: and rebooting doesn't work, try going to
Safe Mode. Does that work?

If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll probably have to reinstall
Windows, and ALL of her data files will be lost forever. Before
reinstalling, make sure you have the CD key for Windows available.

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.

In news:C4EB4F43-B434-4EC7-A3DF-A46B7E2F2C05@microsoft.com,
troy <troy@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> My friend has a Compaq laptop and her system crashed. She is in
> DOS
> at an A> prompt and lack the command to get herself back into
> Windows. I was trying to help by getting that command...

There is no such command. Unlike WIndows 9X, you can't start
WIndows XP from an A: prompt.

What happens when she tries to boot normally from the hard drive?

Please reply to the newsgroup

There is none. NT systems aren't based on Dos. Perhaps you should detail the problem?

"troy" <troy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4EB4F43-B434-4EC7-A3DF-A46B7E2F2C05@microsoft.com...
> My friend has a Compaq laptop and her system crashed. She is in DOS at an A>
> prompt and lack the command to get herself back into Windows. I was trying to
> help by getting that command...
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> What are you on about.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "troy" <troy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB26C382-C286-4586-8CB3-D5E29DCE9969@microsoft.com...
>> > at DOS prompt, I am being asked for a command to start windows xp. example:
>> > C:\windows\________.com. does anyone know the command?

In the past you type win. That won't work in NT.

troy wrote:
> My friend has a Compaq laptop and her system crashed. She is in DOS at an A>
> prompt and lack the command to get herself back into Windows. I was trying to
> help by getting that command...

Tell her to remove the floppy and reboot the computer. There is no way
to start WinXP from a DOS boot disk.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: