3GB vx 4GB stability

mmodork

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I was wondering if anyone could confirm if 3GB of memory on vista 32bit is more stable than 4GB of memory. Sometimes when i go to start something like messenger or a game it'll crash and prompt to end the program, no biggie really cause i just try it again and it works. i recently replaced the ram i had with four 1gb sticks of kingston hyperX and was wondering if that might be what is causing these little hiccups. thanks for any help=)

Mondoman

Splendid
No difference. However, your RAM settings may not be set properly to ensure stability. Try downloading the bootable CD image of memtest86+ and running that overnight to make sure you don't have any obvious errors in your RAM. Also, check your modules, and if they require a voltage higher than the DDR2 standard 1.8V, go into the BIOS and set the RAM/DIMM voltage to that voltage. The voltage is often printed on the side of the DIMM.

sailer

Splendid
I tried running 3 gig with XP and found that while stable, it slowed the computer down. Going to a balanced 4 gig of ram brought the speed back up, even if the whole 4 gig wasn't utilized. I suspect the same would be true with Vista 32.

As Mondoman suggested, you should try memtest86 to find out if you have a bad stick of ram and after that, check the BIOS settings to make sure the voltage is correct, along with the individual ram settings. After that, try slightly higher voltage to the ram and see if it stabilizes.