Sign in with
Your question

Moving all data from one hard drive to another

Last response: in Storage
March 26, 2010 6:14:45 AM

I have scoured the internet for a way to move everything on my hard drive to create a bootable partition in another hard drive. So far, the easiest way I have found is xxClone but apparently that is only for Windows XP. I currently have Windows 7 x64, and am trying to move information from a Hitachi 1TB hard drive to a WD Velociraptor 300 GB. Could anyone show me a simple, streamlined way to do this?

More about : moving data hard drive

March 26, 2010 4:29:08 PM

Stupid question...

Do you think I can just copy and paste everything from my regular drive, onto my new drive, remove my old drive, and set my new one as the default drive? (C:/ drive)
m
l
Related resources
a c 342 G Storage
March 26, 2010 5:46:12 PM

No, you can't just copy and paste. There are lots of files hidden, especially some that are part of the OS.

The process you want is called cloning. It is a way to copy absolutely EVERYTHING from one HDD to another, including all the hidden files, and ensuring that certain critical files are placed in exactly the right place so that the clone copy CAN take over as the C: drive you boot from. Most of the utilities to do this also can change the size of the Partition being made as the copy. The only thing you would have to be sure of is that the stuff you want to move from the 1TB Hitachi is not too big to fit on the smaller 300 GB WD unit.

Go the the WD website and download their free utility package, Acronis True Image WD Edition. It does a LOT of good things, so make sure you get and read the manual. It has an excellent tool for just what you want to do.
m
l
November 20, 2012 12:29:03 AM

Professional Copy entire Hard Drive to a new HDD or SSD, Totally migrate OS & Data! AppleXsoft Hard Drive Copy
m
l
!