Sign in with
Your question

Huge cpu-z core speed reading in prime95 priority 10

Last response: in Overclocking
February 12, 2010 6:31:20 PM

I've ran 20 iterations of Intel Burn Test, and prime95 on priority 10 for over a day with no errors. Temperatures never reach above 70C on either one. This is on a core i7 920 overclocked to 4ghz, 6GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 memory, and an Asus P6X58D mobo.

I've only noticed this in prime95 priority 10. Is this just something stupid that I don't know about?
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 12, 2010 6:34:36 PM

lol 14Ghz
and x74 multi :lol: 

Run 3dmark06!!!

Most likely a bug with CPU-Z check your CPU speed with other programs. Maybe prime95 and CPU-Z dnt play nice, I've noticed that with CPU-Z and OCCT
m
l
February 12, 2010 7:36:38 PM

World Record....

Hell of a proc u got there.

Threads - 4 should be 8

Probably a conflict of some sort. Why dont u Validate it when it shows it like this. Curious to see what would it validate it as.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 12, 2010 9:37:54 PM

sarsoft said:
World Record....

Hell of a proc u got there.

Threads - 4 should be 8

Probably a conflict of some sort. Why dont u Validate it when it shows it like this. Curious to see what would it validate it as.

Wish my ci7 920 could do 14Ghz with 1.26V
m
l
February 12, 2010 9:56:29 PM

lol, so my OC should be stable then? I'm guessing priority 10 causes cpu-z to screw up the readings or something.

Also, I only have four threads right now because I turned hyperthreading off. This is mainly a gaming machine so it helps with temps.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
February 13, 2010 1:16:41 AM

Press [Validate] quick before it starts working properly.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2010 1:33:35 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

This happens alot when you are overclocking with a high baseclock. This one takes the cake though. Your motherboard is probably f***d up.

I have only bugged up to 5.5ghz, that was when i was running at 225 base clock though and 114 pci-e. Im surprised this happened at such a low base clock.

A few things to check:
Make sure all power saving options are disabled.
Make sure PCI-e frequency is manually set.
Make sure that the IOH PLL and CPU PLL arnt any higher than 1.8v.
Depending on your mobo, you also may want to try it out with Vdroop disabled.
Try it with c-state and turbo disabled as well.

What MOBO do you have?
m
l
February 13, 2010 2:37:42 AM

overshocked said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

This happens alot when you are overclocking with a high baseclock. This one takes the cake though. Your motherboard is probably f***d up.

I have only bugged up to 5.5ghz, that was when i was running at 225 base clock though and 114 pci-e. Im surprised this happened at such a low base clock.

A few things to check:
Make sure all power saving options are disabled.
Make sure PCI-e frequency is manually set.
Make sure that the IOH PLL and CPU PLL arnt any higher than 1.8v.
Depending on your mobo, you also may want to try it out with Vdroop disabled.
Try it with c-state and turbo disabled as well.

What MOBO do you have?

I have an Asus P6X58D motherboard.

my settings:

vcore: 1.275
QPI/uncore: 1.25
vdimm: 1.66
BCLK: 190
Multiplier: 21
LLC: enabled
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode: enabled
HT: disabled
C1E, Speedstep, Turbo, Spread Spectrum: disabled
everything else set to auto

Is this an actual problem though, or just a bugged reading with my mobo? Like I said I've only noticed it in prime95 priority 10 for some reason. Also, it doesn't do it the whole time. It usually stays at 3990GHz but will jump up to some random number like that for a few seconds.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2010 3:14:46 AM

hmm, have you tried a bump up in IOH and ICH?

I would set those to 1.2v, as these are the voltages for the NB and SB. Also, have you tried an increase in Vcore?
m
l
February 13, 2010 5:14:30 AM

vcore raised to 1.3, ioh and ich to 1.2 and still the same problem
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 13, 2010 8:03:40 AM

its not a problem. is your overclock stable?
m
l
February 13, 2010 12:45:48 PM

Validate it and get itp osted on the wb and get your monies already! you will be famous!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2010 8:18:17 PM

@omg
It IS a problem because for all we know it could be underclocked.

@truhls
Nobody will care because this is a known problem. Its obvious its not real with a 72 multi.

@noro
i dont know what the problem is. You could try disabling certain settings in the bios.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 13, 2010 8:27:55 PM

he could check the speed with a different program or windows to see the speeed
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2010 8:54:44 PM

Try Everest.
m
l
February 14, 2010 1:05:37 AM

overshocked said:
@omg
It IS a problem because for all we know it could be underclocked.

@truhls
Nobody will care because this is a known problem. Its obvious its not real with a 72 multi.

@noro
i dont know what the problem is. You could try disabling certain settings in the bios.

wow, i really thought that joke was REALLY easy to tell it was a joke......but i guess not.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 1:09:46 AM

^LOL, sorry man. You dont know how many idiots i come across every day. :lol: 

@Kokin and OMG

Yeah, he could try a different program. There is a known bug in the i7 chips though. We can hope it is just cpuz though.
m
l
February 14, 2010 1:19:20 AM

overshocked said:
^LOL, sorry man. You dont know how many idiots i come across every day. :lol: 

@Kokin and OMG

Yeah, he could try a different program. There is a known bug in the i7 chips though. We can hope it is just cpuz though.

oh trust me, i understand. i play games competitively. I meet "those" people all the time. makes you want to /wrists.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 1:34:32 AM

LOL, especially posting on THF dude. The nubs are everywhere!
m
l
February 14, 2010 9:15:39 AM

overshocked said:
LOL, especially posting on THF dude. The nubs are everywhere!

Hey.... we still have feelings you know :p 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 5:44:36 PM

DinkyDogg said:
Hey.... we still have feelings you know :p 

There's a BIG difference between posting to find answers/help/suggestions and being a nub.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 6:30:51 PM

Lol, i agree.
m
l
February 14, 2010 8:40:40 PM

Ok ill ask a nub question, Ive OC'd both my GFX and CPU to within temps i like underload, but havnt run prime95, is it really necessary to test the stability of the system in prime95 if its run ok for a few weeks?

Note: General Use is gaming, rendering and animation

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 8:56:29 PM

Prime 95 stresses for stability. It helps insure that you wont get a bsod when you are playing a game etc. I usually run prime 95 for 8 hours or so.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2010 7:35:44 AM

DinkyDogg said:
Ok ill ask a nub question, Ive OC'd both my GFX and CPU to within temps i like underload, but havnt run prime95, is it really necessary to test the stability of the system in prime95 if its run ok for a few weeks?

Note: General Use is gaming, rendering and animation

Prime95 is an extreme stress program and realistically, you'll never reach that type of stress during gaming, rendering, and animation. I know most Phenom II 955/965 users (including myself) cannot get 4ghz stable with Prime95(at least blending/large FFTs), but can still game and do whatever pleases us without a BSoD.
m
l
!