Solved

Time to stress an old CPU

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2010 7:06:19 PM

So, I got my q8200 and DDR3 on order, so I've decided to stress out my old P4 660 Prescott. Anyone have luck overclocking these? My son has the same setup, so if I can squeeze the processor tight enough, I might take my settings and apply them to his box. Here are the specs:
Intel Pentium 4 660 at 3.6Ghz
4x1gb Corsair CMSX1024-6400 DDR2 with 5-5-5-15 timing
Abit AW8-MAX mobo.
I run an nVidia 8600 GT, him a 8500GT
What kind of multipliers and voltages/CAS settings should I try out to start? It's defaults of course are 18x200 for the CPU, 400mhz for the RAM.
I'd love to try and push this to over 4 Ghz, but didn't know if it was possible. This is my test bed to get back into OCing for when my 8200 arrives :p 

More about : time stress cpu

Best solution

a c 126 K Overclocking
February 12, 2010 7:17:57 PM

you cant expect to find out what settings work for your 660 and apply them to another 660, every CPU overclocks differently. its not that simple.

Manually set the voltages and memory timings to there default value and then inclease the FSB to 205, boot into windows, run some stress test with a program like OCCT or Prime95, remember to monitor your temps carefully. If its stable for an hour or so, go back into the BIOS and up the FSB another 5mhz and repeat the previous steps.

Do that until it becomes unstable, then you have 2 choices

1) up the Vcore and continue to overclock (providing temps are fine)

2) leave it at its highest stable frequency under stock voltage.
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2010 7:29:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, if I find good settings, I'll swap my mobo and proc for his so I know the settings will work, I forgot that every CPU OCs diifferently. I'll start dinking with it (then post some results just for fun).

What do you think a safe temp would be for this cpu? Obviously the lower the better, but what upper limits should I start worrying about? I have uGuru installed, so I'll be able to keep a close eye on it...
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2010 8:05:46 PM

Found out some useful info through Abit's uGuru.

At stock:
CPU - 50.0C, 205 FSB at 1.25V
RAM - 1.82V

It has a "Turbo" setting:
CPU - 50.0C, 220 FSB, 1.34V
RAM - 1.94V

It also lists thresholds:
CPU - 75.0C Warning temp, 1.10-1.65V
RAM - 1.45-2.15V

Seems I have a lot of room to work with. I know all this means nothing nowdays, but I'm just kicking thoughts off the forum, so I'm ready to play with my q8200, bear with me (and maybe someone has a 660 they wanted to stress out also)...
m
l
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 12, 2010 9:23:45 PM

yeah no harm in having a little practice overclocking before you get your Q8200

75C seems about right for the thermal limit.
So is that 50C under load or at idle, if its idle then load temps will likely be above 75C

Let me know how you get on with the BIOS changes.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2010 11:08:38 PM

The 50C is at idle. Looking for a good system tester to load it up. Would Sandra work ok for this? I got one called blah blah BurnIn (cant remember who makes it) that stresses your box for like 15 mins straight or something... Onward to the BIOS!!!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2010 11:29:31 PM

Well, just set it to FSB 220 in uGuru and got a BSOD opening Norton 360! HAHAHAHA Me thinks this will be a short OC session :p 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2010 1:16:24 AM

Best answer selected by scottiemedic.
m
l
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 13, 2010 8:27:39 AM

Best place to do overclocking is in the BIOS, not in a windows program!

Use OCCT or Prime95 to stress the CPU to its limits, and run it for at least 8 hours to unsure stability. I've never heard of blah blah burn in :lol: 

Anyways go into the BIOS and set the FSB to just 205 and set the voltages yourself and stress test.

Good luck.
m
l
February 13, 2010 1:05:32 PM

enter the bios and set the ram vcore to 1.9-2.0v, the cpu vcore to 1.4500v and ram to 1:1 and start raising the FSB speeds 5mhz at a time
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2010 1:14:54 PM

If its at 50c at idle, you won't be able to overclock very much. You'll need to get better cooling if you want to OC.
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
February 13, 2010 4:35:29 PM

Here are three under $50 heatsinks that are pretty popular:
Sunbeam
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Xigmatec Dark Knight

I've added this one, because it is starting to get really popular:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

They all require a somewhat different approach to applying thermal compound.
Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

And they are pretty large, so they might not fit inside your case.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 8:43:16 PM

I was going to see if I could do anything with stock ***, which of course I can't, just getting ready for my 8200. Maybe after I get my new system up and going, I'll trhow this CPU in an old case I have and stress it then with a better cooler. I set the BIOS FSB to 205 without adjusting the voltages and it wouldn't even boot, POS! And just so I don't look like a total moron, I only used the Windows OC program to see what I could raise at idle.

As for blah blah burn in, it's PassMarks BurnIn, some program that stresses your system to look for weak links when trying to diagnose hardware failures. Doesn't really benchmark anything, but it is really cool for putting all components in your system into high gear at once. Used it when I was trying to diagnose a prob with my son's PC, and I figured it would give me some figures for how hot the CPU and system were getting to under a big load. Most benchmarks I've noticed test one component (or multiple) at a time, but never stresses it all at once.

http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Interesting little piece of work.

m
l
a c 126 K Overclocking
February 15, 2010 9:52:50 AM

That program is weird, Stressed my RAM completely, but my CPU (Ci7 920@4Ghz) remained at 20-50% usage and my GPU (HD5850) almost went to sleep 0-6% usage.

At the end of the test which lasted for 15minutes a massive flashing box appeared with the word "FAIL" :lol: 

I think I'll stick to OCCT and Furmark :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2010 7:51:40 PM

Yeah, mine failed too on my Prescott, cause I didn't have a CD in the drive, haha. I concede, BurnIn was a POS!!! :) 
m
l
!