Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme-1366 rev c

3darchie84

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I'm going to try overclocking my system for the first time, but before I do I need to buy a heatsink. I was doing some research and from what I read on here and other post this seems like the best (Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme-1366 rev c) Can someone confirm that and let me know if it fits in the Coolermaster HAF 932 case??? I don't want to buy it if it doesn't fit...it should because this case is HUGE!! Also, where is the best place to purchase this...tiger and newegg don't carry it....?????

My specs:
Evga Classified 3x sli x58
Intel i7 950
Evga nvidia GTX Geforece 295
Corsair HX 1000 watt power supply
Corsair 3 x 2gb ddr3 1600 dominator

Also, I've never overclocked before...I'm kind of a noob...is it basically the same if I follow the i1 920 tutorials...?????

Thanks a lot

Solution
OOPS! I forgot! I just happen to have a brand new Thermalright Venomous X cpu heatsink in my brand new Intel Core i7 860 system. It is supposed to be an updated version of the Ultra 120 that is designed for use with the new Intel socket 1336 and socket 1156 cpu.

Recently I conducted a variety of tests using both systems. It was in response to two other threads about case cooling. What I am about to say is not very scientific because the old system with the Ultra 120 is an AMD system in the HAF 932. The new system with the Venomous X is an Intel Core i7 860 system in a Lian Li / Lancool Dragon Lord case. It's like trying to compare apples and oranges. When I conducted the same torture tests in both systems the cpu core temperatures...

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I just happen to have a Coolermaster HAF 932 case with the original Thermalright Ultra 120 installed. The case is wider than normal and can easily accomodate any of those 160mm tall cpu heatsinks and still have plenty of room left over for the large fan mounted on the side panel. Absolutely no problem! :D

You can purchase the new version of the cpu heatsink from frozencpu.com which is a well known online vendor:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5664/cpu-tri-58/Thermalright_Ultra-120_eXtreme_Rev_C_CPU_Heatsink_-_Socket_LGA_1366_LGA_1156_775_AM2_AM2_AM3_Xeon.html

OOPS! I forgot! I just happen to have a brand new Thermalright Venomous X cpu heatsink in my brand new Intel Core i7 860 system. It is supposed to be an updated version of the Ultra 120 that is designed for use with the new Intel socket 1336 and socket 1156 cpu.

Recently I conducted a variety of tests using both systems. It was in response to two other threads about case cooling. What I am about to say is not very scientific because the old system with the Ultra 120 is an AMD system in the HAF 932. The new system with the Venomous X is an Intel Core i7 860 system in a Lian Li / Lancool Dragon Lord case. It's like trying to compare apples and oranges. When I conducted the same torture tests in both systems the cpu core temperatures were identical. The maximum cpu core temperature recorded for both systems was 52C and that was only a brief spike.

I didn't even realise the maximum cpu core temps were identical until ubernoobie mentioned the Venomous X. The actual tests I performed were to see if various case fan configurations had an effect on temps.

The only thing I can guarantee is individual results will vary.

Solution

3darchie84

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Thanks for the quick responses guys....I haven't heard of the Venomous X...I'll have to check that out...Does the base sit totally flat against the cpu? Thats the only reason I chose the True because supposedly the Rev C does. At any rate I will be ordering one of the two...I will probably post back later when I get it if I need help with tweaking...haha...thats where my noobiness kicks in...Im located in Chicago by the way for those that asked....Thanks again

3darchie84

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

One quick question...I was just checking out the Venomous X and its actually $10 cheaper than the True, but doesn't come with fans...What fans do you recommend I buy for it...I wanted to keep the price around $80 total if possible but I can convince my wife its necessary if need be...haha...also will 2 fans fit on the EVGA classi x58 if I am using the first slop for my ram???...I heard a lot of complaints that it was a tite fit and some heatsinks woudn't work. I will probably only over clock to around 3.8 ghz or something...nothing to extreme the whole idea still scares me...so would I need 2 fans or is 1 ok? Also what is the best orrientation for the fans...If i only get one does it matter what side I put it on? I still have the stock fans in the HAF 932...I just liked the fact they were pretty quiet...should I replace the side and top w/ the 4 smaller fans...if so which are the best w/ not to much increase in noise...??? I guess I had more than a quick question....but thanks again....

Intel i7 950 3.06 ghz
EVGA Classi X58 3x sli
Corsair HX 1000 watt psu
Corsair Dominator 3 x 2gb DDR3 1600
Nvidia GTX Geforece 295
2 x 1tb Western Digital Black

3darchie84

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Sorry one more quick question...is artic silver pretty much the thermal paste you guys use?? Or is there a better one? Someone told me the silver was bad...but from what I've read it seems like thats what everyone uses???

Yes, the Venomous X has a totally flat base. It does not have direct touch heatpipes.

Yes, memory with extra tall heatspreaders that look like a comb installed in the memory slot closest to the cpu socket will interfere with cpu heatsink. Tom's hardware has published several articles about memory that included negative comments about those tall heatspreaders. They do not improve memory cooling. Other reviews have confirmed the THG findings. Consider it an advertising gimmick. Optimal memory cooling is achieved without those tall heatspreaders. The memory is so close to the cpu heatsink fan that air is drawn directly over the memory. Here's a tip - install the memory first and then install the cpu heatsink. It's much easier to do it that way.

Yes, two cpu heatsink fans for a push/pull effect will work with most motherboards. For the typical user/gamer one fan is sufficient. The second fan typically only drops temperatures about 1C or 2C. The sweet spot is a fan rated between 1200rpm and 1600rpm. I use the Scythe S-Flex series. Here is a link to a very good web site with fan recommendations that are also relatively quiet:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html

The typical cpu heatsink configuration is a front to back airflow so that the case fan on the rear panel of a case can exhaust the air. Other configurations are possible but thay are not that common.

The stock fans in the HAF 932 do not need to be replaced. Case ventilation, airflow, and cooling are excellent. It is one of the top rated cases for cooling.

Artic Silver 5 is an older thermal compound. There have been improvements in thermal compounds. The newer Artic Silver MX2 is pretty good. There are over 80 brands available. Everybody has their favorite. I use IC 7 Carat Diamond Thermal Compound. It works for me. This is another situation where individual results will vary.

3darchie84

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

Alright, Thanks again...you've been much helpful. I just ordered the Venomous X, artic silver MX2, and 2 Noctua NH-12 fans. Despite the shitty color they should perform well I hope. Just so I get this right I want the fan on the right of the heatsink to blow towards the heatsink (back of computer) and the one on the left sucking away from the heatsink (blowing towards the back of computer) is that correct??