First Build, Would Like Opinions Before Order.

ivellis

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Yup, taking the leap for my first system build, for some reason I always thought it would be hard, till I sat down and realised, "Hey! Even I have enough knowledge to put together a PC!"

Anyways, I'd like opinions and suggestions on my gaming build before I order, here it is:

Case: NZXT Tempest

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

Mobo: MSI K9A2 Platinum

Video Card: Visiontek Radeon HD 4850

Ram: Corsair, 4GB (2x2GB)

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700-watt

HD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB Hard Drive

This is all off tigerdirect.ca.

Thanks in Advance.

A coworker who used to own a computer business does not have anything good to say about MSI. I've seen some good reviews of them, but I still think I'd choose Gigabyte or Asus.
The rest looks decent, assuming the RAM will run at its advertised timings on the JEDEC standard 1.8V.
If you are willing to consider Intel, for maybe $50 more you will get better performance, using an e7200 on a P45 mobo.
If not, I think you will be happy with this one too.

ivellis

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I didn't know Newegg had a Canadian site, had I known, I would've had a much different build, so now I do! :D

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro
Memory: G.Skill 4GB Ram
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-520HX
Video Card: Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16

ivellis

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I was actually planning on overclocking the 800mhz ram to 1000mhz, but maybe I should just go with the 1100mhz stuff.

I was wondering if the HD 4850 needs an after market fan?

They don't need one, but may benefit from one. Don't install your own though, buy one that comes with an after market fan.

If you get a stock cooler you will be OK with that case. Just be sure to tweak the fan speeds so that the card stays in a good range.

ivellis

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Will I need any cable extensions since the case holds the PSU in the bottom?
And will that cause any problem for the PSU since it has its fan on the bottom?