Computer shut down, won't start up

Cmatal

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Okay, my computer shut down out of nowhere... like literally, I was just browsing the internet on Firefox, and BOOM!.. well not literally, but it shut down. At first I thought It was just a heat issue, and I cleaned off everything, and now it starts up, beeps A LOT, and shuts down...

Specs

Processor:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory:
2046MB RAM
Hard Drive:
300 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
What are the beeps? The beeps are a form of error code. Depending on the BIOS your motherboard is using the beep code can be decyphered to give you a clue as to the problem.

What motherboard are you using?
What sequence is the beep code?

Cmatal

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
The beeps sound like they're coming from the motherboard, and it's just constant beeps for around 5 seconds, then the computer shuts down.. I'm not 100% certain what Mobo I'm using... and since I can't turn my computer on, I don't know of any way to check.

Also, PSU?

edit: forgot to mention im on vista home premium

Cmatal

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
That could very well be it... it's the only thing I haven't checked... GOD DAMNIT i have to take it apart agian

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Your motherboard will have its name and model number printed right on it. Usually between the slots. Also count the beeps therer should be a series to it and then it will repeat.

Under original IBM post codes a continuous beep is bad power supply, or bad motherboard, and could also be a bad keyboard.

AMI BIOS codes are a series of small beeps so if the board is using that type of BIOS you would need to count exactly how many beeps you hear.

Phenoix BIOS codes ususally are more detailed 1 beep a pause and then a series of more beeps then a pause and another series of beeps.

Cmatal

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
It's not continuous, it's a series of beeps, all about a quarter of a second apart, for around 5 seconds, then it shuts down.. I hope I don't have to buy a new **** mobo.

Cmatal

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
looks like i fried my CPU.. I was looking for an excuse to upgrade to Quad, but I don't have money right now.

[Edit] I'm now in the running for a new computer...