[AMD] Phenom II x3 720

hperez

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Ok guys so I purchsed a Phenom II x3 720. I unlocked the 4th core and it runs stable(running prime95). Since I'm using the stock cooler I tried a simple overclock to 3.0 ghz with a 1.4 vcore. I run prime95 and after 30 seconds to a minute my computer turns off. Does this mean its getting too hot? Also since AAC is on my temp reads 0 C but I touch the heatsink and its not hot at all.

Solution
The stock HS on them is not very good at all - esp. with the 4th core pulling more Watts than it would with only 3 cores - Mine was running up to 69C @3.0Ghz. with the fourth core on it under Prime95 - so it reaching 73C (the shut down temp for the 720) is plausible. - I know have a cooler MAster TX3 (picked it up for $4.99 from Newegg) and am running it at 3.2Ghz.(@ 1.312Volts) and it Idles at 34C and reaches 54C (in a 23C room) after a few hours of Prime95 so the new Heatsink fan is worth the investment !!

hperez

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

I'm going to disable the 4th and try it at 3ghz.

hperez

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Alright figured it out. It was running too hot with the vcore up. Left the vcore at stock 1.3 and left at 3.0 ghz. After 30 minutes on prime it hit 57C. I'm sure when the vcore was up it must of been getting hotter. The room temperature is 21C. I guess ill leave it at 3.0 with 1.3vcore untill I get my CoolerMaster hyper 212 :D

The stock HS on them is not very good at all - esp. with the 4th core pulling more Watts than it would with only 3 cores - Mine was running up to 69C @3.0Ghz. with the fourth core on it under Prime95 - so it reaching 73C (the shut down temp for the 720) is plausible. - I know have a cooler MAster TX3 (picked it up for $4.99 from Newegg) and am running it at 3.2Ghz.(@ 1.312Volts) and it Idles at 34C and reaches 54C (in a 23C room) after a few hours of Prime95 so the new Heatsink fan is worth the investment !!

Solution

Problem there is that HWmonitor does not report the temp on an unlocked CPU - all of the core temp readings report 0C all of the time - the monitoring programs that still work are Everest Ultimate Edition or if you have a Gigabyte MOBO then Easy Tune 6 also will report the temp correctly (though just the CPU temp not the individual core temps work on even those !! )

IT doesn't show 3 of them - it shows all 4 but they all read 0C all of the time - when you unlock the extra core it makes the individual core sensors no longer work !! - the only monitoring programs that I have seen still work are Everest Ultimate and Easy Tune 6 which report the CPU temp correctly (HWmonitor does not have a report for the CPU temp and just has the individual core temps which are always reported as 0C after unlocking !!

hperez

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
HW Monitor works but shows up as TMPINI1 on mine. I have a gigabyte board tuner6 or w/e works as well. At 3.0ghz on stock core it reached 60C under full load. I'm going to wait till I get a better cooler untill I overclock any further. The 4th core is fully stable. Ran prime 95 over 8 hours now.

hootis8

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010

ok i got ya... calm down