Sign in with
Your question

Newly built system- USB ports die within 12 hours: then OS won't boot!

Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2008 2:39:51 AM

Hey everyone, so I just built a new system, installed Windows XP, the system ran not too bad for the first few hours, installed as many drivers as I could, turned off the monitor and fell asleep for the night. In the morning when I turned the monitor back on, my tablet was dead and so were my internet and external HD, all three hooked up via USB. I tested the tablet on my friend's computer to make sure, it worked there, but as soon as I switched back to my own, the port remained dead. After checking the bios settings to make sure everything was set right, I booted from the XP cd again, copied the install files to the existing partition, rebooted to find the boot record saying there were two installations, accidentally booted into the just-installed one, exit the setup, rebooted once again, and it no longer even makes it to the bootloader. I -think- it may be related to the PCIe card
I have to connect eSATA drives, which was detected by bios but not working in windows, but I don't know.

I've got 4 papers to write for class due next tues, and I've spent the last 2 weeks I could've been typing diagnosing my last computer and building/getting my new one to work. Please throw suggestions my way, I'm losing my sanity on this thing and I've tried all I can think of.

Additional Note: While windows was working, I tried plugging in a PS/2 mouse as well, with no response.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2008 3:09:51 AM

When this first happened, did you try simply rebooting first?
Related resources
October 21, 2008 3:13:51 AM

Somethings probably shorted on the board, I don't think there would be any other reason for this happening, unless your computer is possessed.
If I were you I'd follow these steps in order.

1) Finish your papers :) 

2)Troubleshoot the board (see if all the components work in another rig and check if the mobo works with known working components) Replace the faulty part (if any).

3)If that doesn't work, get your rig exorcised.

Hope this helped.
October 21, 2008 3:21:35 AM

Heh, well first thing to check would be the various USB ports. Are they all bad? The ones in the rear and the ones connected to the headers on the board?

If they are all bad, then you likely have a failed board there.
October 21, 2008 3:26:01 AM

I'm fairly certain all of them are bad now. The bios seems fine though, just doesn't detect anything on the USB anymore. If I were to install a PCI card for USB ports would it be able to fix the system enough that some configuring would get it to boot?
October 21, 2008 3:36:11 AM

Possibly.
October 21, 2008 3:41:04 AM

To tell you the truth, I'm not entirely sure if a faulty usb port would stall a boot up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There may be a setting to disable the usb ports in the bios, though I'm not certain. It would narrow down the problems though.
!