Computer failing to boot up

meddude

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Hello. I need some help with my gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6 - at least i suspect this is the source of my problem.

Just yesterday my computer stopped booting per normal. It locks up at the very first gigabyte screen.

doesnt get to memory check or anything.

Ive also noticed the cpu fan stopping and starting persistently ....

Ive tried to clear CMO's per a friends suggestion without success.

Im not crash hot with hardware. Do i need a new board???

thankyou

Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU. Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually).

Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to get this far.

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time.

bilbat

Splendid
An excellent procedure - it requires the use of a case speaker, which not many cases seem to come with these days - and most people seem to think the diagnostic beeps should come through their Logi 5.1 speakers... The case speaker is hooked up here:
speakerun9.jpg

and, when you have problems, will be the best three dollars you ever spent...

meddude

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Thankyou. I removed all components as suggestested. Got long beeps with no RAM. Then i got one short beep and thats all after adding RAM. I have two 1 gig ram sticks and i triend alternating both without success.

Can RAM 'stuff up' at the same time?

I guess ill have to replace my ram.....

TRENDING THREADS