Computer unable to reformat and unable to boot

5xlwarrior

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I have been running XP SP 3 and my computer has been having lots of issues but I had those resolved and more came up. The computer is completely unable to boot. It simply restarts when I run it in last known config or start windows normally, and in all three safemodes, it stops on an Mup.sys driver.
My first idea was to reformat, but even when I try that, it gets an error telling me about an antivirus needing to be removed or deactivated. So then I tried repair, and the same error came up and I have kinda ran out of options that I can think of. Its just being an error trap right now, but does anyone have an idea on how to get it to atleast be able to reformat or a way to get it to boot so hopefully the chkdsk can do something?

takenra

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Will the computer boot from cd into windows setup? and if so, does it fail to format from this point? HAve you got the antivirus option enabled in bios? That might cause a problem (although I don't know)
Can you move the drive to a different machine and format it that way (eg take drive out and place in a USB enclosure)
Depending on the make of the drive, download the correct drive tools (or Ultimate boot cd) and burn a boot cd and then you can test the drive that way as well.
If none of these work I might suggest theres a motherboard issue or conflicting drive problem.

Hope some of that helps.

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Try getting the Hiren's boot CD and see if you can fix whatever is wrong with the drive by booting for the CD. Do you have the original XP CD? You could try a repair install from the XP CD.

5xlwarrior

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Alright so far I've heard from my friends that I should turn it into an external drive on another computer and either remove the antivirus there, or pretty much remove files to make it the equivalent of a reformat. Beyond that, I am also having it checked out by a top end computer guy so if it is a problem with anything else then I should know about it. So thanks for posting :)