Disable windows explorer in xp

Do not try this at home! Well, do, but create some scratch directories to test it on to be sure you get it right before doing it to important data.

Edit the directory protection. right-click on directory, select Properties, select Security, delete entry for Users, and only the Admin login will be able to see this. You will need to use Advanced, deselect the option to inherit from parent directories, and select the option to Replace permissions on child objects.

Or change ownership to the account that you want to be able to see it from, then delete the permissive Users entry.

Three caveats: One, as I started with, get comfortable with this on trash directory trees before trying it with real data. Two, it will protect you from casual peeping, but anyone who really wants to see them will slip a LiveCD in your drive and boot off it. Three, your backups are another point where others can get at the files.

For casual use, the above is fine. If you want to seriously protect the files, you need a decent encrypted disk volume. If you don't even want The Man to notice that you have an ecrypted disk, look up "steganography." And don't mention my name. You never heard of me.