Planning Full System Build - Enough performance?

dcbryan

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008
Hello Everyone,
I've been doing freelance motion graphics, design, photography and video for a years or so now, and I badly need to update my computer.

My old system

* Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
* Motherboard : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7125
* Ram : 1.50GB DDR-200 PC3200U
* Video Card : RADEON X300 Series
* Power Supply : 450w RaidMax KY550ATX
* I won't need new hard drives, I've already got like 5 (some SATA, usb 2.0, and PATA)

On my new system I'll be doing a lot of performance demanding stuff: Video editing (possibly HD), 3D rendering (C4d), Photoshop (high res), Photo editing (RAW). I'll also be doing some audio recording and editing. I run two monitors the all time. I won't be doing too much gaming, although it would be nice to get some stress relief from Unreal Tournament 3 now and then.

I've done a lot of research, looked at a lot of charts, and just about every option, so here's what I've got planned:

My New System

* Processor: $190 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
* Heatsink: $36 XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
* Motherboard: $137 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
* Ram: $85 G.SKILL -4GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
* Case: $ 75 Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP
* Power Supply: $100 SILVERSTONE ST70F 700W
* Video Card: $100 Radeon HD 3870 512MB POWERCOLOR AX3870 512MD3-PH

Total: $723

I'd like to stay somewhere in this price range, but I'm all about saving money so I'd love to get some opinions, think it will be able to handle everything I'm doing? I'd like to get some faster renders time (in C4d) then I'm getting now. And no way my current computer can play HD video, I hope my new one will be able to.

Notes: I won't ever be overclocking this system, nor will I ever run vista. And all the prices are from newegg.

Here's how I see it:
CPU - Good, if your running programs that work well with quad cores, which I'm thinking that you will need.
Mobo - Good solid choice for your needs.
RAM - You don't need 1066mHz DDR2 for your setup. Good CAS4 (4-4-4-12 timings) DDR2 800mHz is all that you'll ever need, especially since your not OC'ing!!
Case - Good case, but PLEASE save $30 and buy it from Buy.com for $78 shipped!!
PSU - Another good selection there, but I'd consider the Corsair 650tx, since it has 1 solid 12v rail to access all 52A from and also is cheaper by about $30. It's at Buy.com for $73 after $20 MIR. Either PSU will do just fine, maybe a bit overkill, but will allow you plenty of room for upgrades later!!
GPU - Pretty good selection in that price range. Very tough to guess on that one, but if your not really doing too much hard core gaming on high resolutions, that should be fine. The 4850 is a much better GPU, but not sure if you want the added GPU power or not for about $30 more??

dcbryan

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008
Thanks lunyone. Sounds like you approve.
Thanks for the tips about buy.com, I'll order where ever I can get it cheaper.

Can you explain a little more about the ram? I though 1066mzh ram was faster than 800mhz (cas4). Why would I not want faster ram? Are you saying it doesn't really matter?

For the PSU what do you mean "solid 12v rail to access all 52A from"?

thanks.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
#1 - Way too much for the PSU - You don't need ANYWHERE near that kind of power. Look at the Antec Earthwatt 380 or 430. You can often find them for about $40 shipped.

#2 - If you are not going to OC, there is no need for an after market CPU Cooler.

#3 - Consider the 4670 GPU. It will run cooler, quieter, and likely faster and very reasonable.

#4 - DDR2-1066 is a waste, get DDR2-800 as mentioned above.

#5 - Consider a faster 45nm Quad. The 45nm Quads contain additional SSE instructions which can be a significant performance gain in some of the things you are doing. The money saved from suggestions above will easily allow for you to do this while keeping the total system price the same.

Yes the 1066mHz DDR2 isn't really that much faster. Yes in theory its a decent gain, but in real world applications it isn't that much. Several of the reviews that I've read (trying to find some) say that DDR2 800mHz CAS4 stuff is plenty and it's not worth the expense of the 1066mHz DDR2 for the slight performance difference (1-3% if I remember correctly).
The Corsair 650tx has only 1 x 12v rail so you have total access to all 52A of power. Alot of PSU's break up the power into multiple rails, so you will only be able to access only the portion of power on that particular rail. Now there are examples where the PSU is listed as a multiple 12v rail PSU, but in actuality it is only coming from one 12v rail. It gets confusing sometimes, but that is why we have forums. :) I'd really consider sticking with the Antec Earthwatts PSU (430w or 500w) if your not going to be putting in a mainstream GPU and not going to OC. the 430w PSU has 30A on the 12v rails and the 500w one has 34A on the 12v rails. Both are efficient and usually are fairly inexpensive ($40-50 or so).

Here's one quote from a review using 800mHz DDR2 against 1333mHz DDR3, so you can draw your own conclusions, but this will give you an idea of what people have found out about "Faster" memory is.
"Conclusions
There is no miracle again: faster memory yields 1% performance gain on one of the fastest processors with the 1333 MHz FSB, while the only processor for the 1600 MHz bus gains 2% from it. As always, faster memory appears much earlier than we really need it. But let's not act as ignorant users, who shout about being cheated. There is no cheating here. Look at results and draw your conclusions."
Not the greatest review, but something to consider when wanting to buy "Faster" RAM.

Here's another review showcasing DDR2 533mHz against DDR2 1066mHz RAM. Obviously DDR2 800mHz DDR2 will be between the 2, but there really isn't much difference!