Need to record off my Comcast digital cable NOT HD

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 13, 2005 3:42:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

? Comcast Digital Cable Recording ?

My question seems simple but after searching the web I am left in a
confused state. Although the setup I’m looking for could be used in
multiple ways I am only interested in one particular function right
now. I want to be able to record music vidz off my Comcast digital
cable and transfer those files to my PC where I can then convert the
vidz into smaller files so I can fit many vidz on a DVD which will
then go into my car and ultimately be playing on my headrest LCD
screens.

My original thought was to go with a stand alone Pioneer DVD recorder
with an 80gig hard drive. This way I could record the vidz while I
was gone at work. When I got home I would pick the ones I wanted to
keep and burn them to DVD. Then I would take the DVD to my computer
and copy them down. This thought was shattered once I found out that
the DVD recorder did not have a tuner that would reach over channel
125. Most of my recordings will be above the channel 125 range. I
do not have an HD box, just a Comcast digital cable box.

My second thoughts was to build a PC and record the vidz to the hard
drive then transfer the files over Ethernet to my ‘Master’ PC to do
all the editing but once again I can’t find a tuner card that would
take the signal. I was unsure on how I would separate the videos,
would it look like just one big 2 hour recording or can you actually
split the vidz up later?

Anyway, I just want a setup that works whether it be a stand alone
machine or simply adding a card to my current machine. Money isn’t
really of any concern so please don’t feel like you have to suggest a
system that is cheap. Don’t get me wrong I don’t want to spend
thousands of dollars but I am willing to spend more than a few
hundred for this functionality. I do not care about pausing live TV
nor do I care about fast forwarding through commercials.

My current bedroom setup:

TV:
42” Toshiba Widescreen HDTV
2 RF tuner inputs (only one used currently)
2 Component inputs
2 S-Video inputs + 1 in front
2 Composite (RCA) inputs +1 in front

1 DVD Player over Component
1 VCR player (no longer hooked up)
1 Comcast digital cable box (black) over coaxial

PC:
Intel P4, 2.1c Ghz, oc’d
1 gig Geil Dual DDR PC3700 RAM
2 Raptor 36gig 10K SATA drives setup as RAID 0
1 Maxtor 200 gig 10K SATA drive for storage
ATI Radeon 9800 256mb video card running dual LCD display setup
10/100baseT LAN and 54G Wireless card (currently wired to the Linksys
router)
Sound Blaster Live (old I know BUT great for audio capturing)

HELP PLEASE :)
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 1:40:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Thu, 12 May 2005 23:42:35 -0500,
dvdsoftware@akacali-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (akacali)
posted:

>? Comcast Digital Cable Recording ?
>
>My question seems simple but after searching the web I am left in a
>confused state. Although the setup I’m looking for could be used in
>multiple ways I am only interested in one particular function right
>now. I want to be able to record music vidz off my Comcast digital
>cable and transfer those files to my PC where I can then convert the
>vidz into smaller files so I can fit many vidz on a DVD which will
>then go into my car and ultimately be playing on my headrest LCD
>screens.
>
>My original thought was to go with a stand alone Pioneer DVD recorder
>with an 80gig hard drive. This way I could record the vidz while I
>was gone at work. When I got home I would pick the ones I wanted to
>keep and burn them to DVD. Then I would take the DVD to my computer
>and copy them down. This thought was shattered once I found out that
>the DVD recorder did not have a tuner that would reach over channel
>125. Most of my recordings will be above the channel 125 range. I
>do not have an HD box, just a Comcast digital cable box.

Have you tried using only analog video (composite or
S-Video) and analog audio between the Comcast box and
Pioneer DVD recorder?

Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
<http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm&gt;