• Computers
  • Printers
  • Connection
  • Servers
Last response: in Toms Network
September 9, 2009 8:42:23 AM

hi, im using windows server 2003,,
i, had a problem with sharing printer.
i had instaled the driver before in server, and i had sharing with local computer ( client ),,
but, when the computer shut down, it suddenly, cannot print,
i had deleted the printer in printer and fax, but whwn i try to add printer to client computer, i got message " windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost connection to the server..
and i look, the printer status at the server, the status is " printer has lost connection in server or unable to connect."
please help me..
Thank U.
GBU

More about : printer lost connection server

September 22, 2009 7:32:39 AM

Try to have the printer print its network settings out for you. There may be a button you hold down near the network port, or something in the printer's menu. That should be all the information you need to find it on the network.

If you need to reconfigure any of the printer's settings, use a web browser and go directly to the printer's IP address. Then setup your client computer.

Have you tried checking for any print driver updates?
September 22, 2009 4:40:47 PM

It sounds like the Server can't connect to the printer either. I would uninstall the printer on the server and try to re-install it. Also, have you installed the Print Server Roll? Server-side Printer Sharing works best with that running.

If the printer is a network printer, then wildwell is right, you should check/print out the printers settings. If the IP address is set to DHCP you should make it static.

If the printer is connected directly to the server, make sure all the wiring is good. If it's USB try another USB port.

Essentially, don't bother trying to connect a client to the shared printer until you've got the server flawlessly connected to the printer. After that it should be a piece of cake.