Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard and wireless adapter

Last response: in Motherboards
February 20, 2009 8:27:35 PM

HP just told me the motherboard in my older computer that came with XP installed will not support any wireless adapters????
a c 236 V Motherboard
a b α HP
February 21, 2009 4:27:20 PM

It depends on how old it is and if the correct type of connector (PCI or PCIe) is available. HP won't sell you an adapter if one wasn't originally available with that model. You could also consider buying a USB wireless adapter if your system has USB 2.0 ports.
February 22, 2009 7:16:51 PM

I know enough about computers to be dangerous!

HP a305w Purchase in Dec. '03 running XP. I have tried to install 2 different models of linksys adapters in two available slots. One was a wmp11 the other I do not remember model#. I have also tried a linksys USB11 adapter and a generic usb adapter RealTek RTL8187B. Drivers fail to install each time.

HP support says motherboard needs to be replaced to support any wireless adapters. Could you explain why this would be? I have installed adapters in much older machines!

Thank you
Related resources
a c 236 V Motherboard
a b α HP
February 22, 2009 7:51:25 PM

I checked the specs on that system and it apparently has a 2.7 GHz Celeron and a maximum of 1GB of memory (which I presume is what you have in yours). Is the OS Windows XP or a version of Windows XP Home Edition specifically configured for that system?

The only thing that makes sense to me is that some custom software detects that you're trying to install a network adaptor and is preventing it. What error do you get when you try to install it? If other USB 2.0 devices work, then a wireless adaptor should work.
February 22, 2009 9:52:22 PM

Thank you for your help!!!!

RealTek TRL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g USB: [This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Linksys Wmp11: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 1)
a c 236 V Motherboard
a b α HP
February 23, 2009 1:04:12 AM

Is the adaptor listed in Device Manager (probably a yellow exclamation mark)? What happens if you try to update the drivers from Device Manager (which is Microsoft's recommendation for error codes 1 and 31)? I had to install a PCI wireless adaptor a couple years ago and the drivers had to be loaded before installing the card.

Do you have full admin rights to the system, including the registry?
February 23, 2009 12:56:38 PM

Yes it has an exclamation point on it and I have tried to update the drivers. downloaded new drivers, tried the disk. The first linksys adapter I tried needed the software in first the wmp11 needed the adapter in first. I do have admin rights I have tried to delete sub keys I thought might be the problem although, I am not sure I was doing that correctly - Nothing! the drivers fail to install each and every time.

I guess that I am done trying - I was hoping someone could tell me why it wont work becaouse it just doesn't make sense to me!!

Thanks,
LA
!