SATA harddrive not recognized 2010

savme

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
I have ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard and am trying to install a WD Caviar Black 1 TB hardrive on it. I built a system about 6 yrs ago and had very little problem but this has me stumped. Its all new to me now. The hard drive is recognized in the BIOS as a SATA but is not recognized when I power on the PC. I am going to install XP Home for now, if I can get the hard drive detected.
What am I doing wrong?
I do see the 2 IDE settings but since this is not IDE, (grinz) I am not sure where to go from here.

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Please post system specs. Is this a new system you're working on? I presume so. What service pack is your version of XP? The original version of XP doesn't recognize SATA connections (needs to be SP2), and you may have to do the F6 procedure during the OS install to load third party drivers to recognize the HDD. This could account for the BIOS recognizing the drive but not the OS. Your post is conflicting on the following portion: The hard drive is recognized in the BIOS as a SATA but is not recognized when I power on the PC.. When you say power on the PC do you actually mean try to load the OS??

Please elaborate.

And Microsoft will continue to support XP until 2014, so it's still a viable OS for now.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
This is an issue for ALL versions of XP - no Service Packs fix it. The problem is that XP only knows how to deal with optical drives, floppies and IDE hard drive, but NOT SATA or AHCI drives. One solution is to use a standard Windows process early in the Install routine to install an AHCI driver from a floppy. But many don't have one in the machine.

That is why BIOS makers included a special feature for SATA ports. Go into your BIOS Setup screens and look for where the SATA ports are set up. Make sure they are Enabled. Then look close to there for port mode settings. Choices usually are IDE (or PATA) Emulation, SATA, AHCI, or RAID. Set it to IDE (or PATA) Emulation and the BIOS will make the real SATA drive look like a plain IDE drive, and Win XP will Install happily.

savme

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
I think you misunderstood Apache, I did build a system 6 yrs ago but not the one I am working on now LOL.
I got the new system to work and am on it right now, thank you all for the offer to help, was very kind of you . BTW, I bought Win7, using 64 bit, figured everything else is new so why not OS.
I do get what I caLL "hangups" at times. They eventually work themselves out takes like 3-5 mins, but its disturbing.

I did get this error: **after game crashed** checking this one out with eq2 support
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: EverQuest2.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 4bad23c0
Fault Module Name: EverQuest2.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 4bad23c0
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000fc7b
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1f1c
Additional Information 2: 1f1cdcced1a4e1ed1802b9aca6279e19
Additional Information 3: f00a
Additional Information 4: f00a142a8ac030d8dccd9ac9cd85154c

But the "Hangups" have happened ingame AND when browsing online and I have never gotten an error.
I did go into Control Panel and checked all the hardware devices, seems to be no problems, but something has to be causing it.
If anyone has any ideas, I am willing to listen and learn.

My system:
I have ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD Motherboard
WD Black Caviar 1TB
2Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL memory
CASE CM|RC-590-KKN1-GP BK RT
CPU AMD|PH II X4 955 3.2G AM3 R
PSU TT|W0229RU 750W RT
MSI N250GTS TwinFrozr 1G OC GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
HP Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 24X Multiformat DVD Burner LightScribe Support
4 cores open

If you need more info, just ask.

TRENDING THREADS