Sign in with
Your question

Corsair H-50 and Apevia X-Master case question

Last response: in Overclocking
February 14, 2010 1:15:52 AM

I am building a HTPC and have an Apevia X-master case waiting to go....however, I am not sure if I will be able to use the Corsair H50 in it has it appears this case only has 120mm fan ports on the left and right side, and not in the back. Can I mount the fan on the side, or will there be no room with the processor?

I am just half tempted to buy a standard mid-tower case. I wanted a HTPC case that would lay horizontally in an entertainment system, but the design of it seems like it's just going to be difficult to work with.

Here is a link for the case I'm using. As you can see, it has two 80 mm fans in the rear where normally the 120mm fan would go....however, it has two 120mm fan ports on the left and right side... I am unsure if there will be clearance for the H50 tubes and the AM3 955 processor if I have to mount it on that right side.

http://www.apevia.com/ProductsInfo.asp?KEY=X-Master-BK/...
February 14, 2010 3:06:19 AM

bgaviator1 said:
I am building a HTPC and have an Apevia X-master case waiting to go....however, I am not sure if I will be able to use the Corsair H50 in it has it appears this case only has 120mm fan ports on the left and right side, and not in the back. Can I mount the fan on the side, or will there be no room with the processor?

I am just half tempted to buy a standard mid-tower case. I wanted a HTPC case that would lay horizontally in an entertainment system, but the design of it seems like it's just going to be difficult to work with.

Here is a link for the case I'm using. As you can see, it has two 80 mm fans in the rear where normally the 120mm fan would go....however, it has two 120mm fan ports on the left and right side... I am unsure if there will be clearance for the H50 tubes and the AM3 955 processor if I have to mount it on that right side.

http://www.apevia.com/ProductsInfo.asp?KEY=X-Master-BK/...

I would say NO to that because there is a reason why you have a side window airflow on the side to blow cool air in the tower for system to say at a temp. Can I please ask what CPU do you have and I can pick a really good one out for you, that is if you don't mind.
Corsair H50 would be great for a mid tower case with a 120MM in the back for that case would most likely should have a top airflow vent blowing out hot air as well. So my best option for you would to look for a case with a 120mm rear but with a side panel vent and a top vent as well that is if you would like to have the H50
m
l
February 14, 2010 4:03:09 AM

Keiki646 said:
I would say NO to that because there is a reason why you have a side window airflow on the side to blow cool air in the tower for system to say at a temp. Can I please ask what CPU do you have and I can pick a really good one out for you, that is if you don't mind.
Corsair H50 would be great for a mid tower case with a 120MM in the back for that case would most likely should have a top airflow vent blowing out hot air as well. So my best option for you would to look for a case with a 120mm rear but with a side panel vent and a top vent as well that is if you would like to have the H50

I plan on using the Phenom II 955 overclocking it to 3.8 gigahertz. I mean, this X-master case has 120mm ports on the left and right side....I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as there is clearance between the radiator/fan and the CPU since I know the CPU will be sitting close to the right side 120 mm port.
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2010 4:19:30 PM

bgaviator1 said:
I plan on using the Phenom II 955 overclocking it to 3.8 gigahertz. I mean, this X-master case has 120mm ports on the left and right side....I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as there is clearance between the radiator/fan and the CPU since I know the CPU will be sitting close to the right side 120 mm port.

That is due to the air flow that would be coming in from the right side but the Corsair H50 in that case is a very tight fit.
That is going to be a chance you are going to have to take. I am not trying to doubt you and I know you would like to have an excellent HTPC. If my memory serve me correct that the Corsair H50 was design for mid tower and full tower cases.
m
l
February 14, 2010 5:40:19 PM

I just installed the h-50 and it works great but there really isn't a lot of play/movement with the tubes to install in anything but a mid or full case.
m
l
February 14, 2010 5:42:29 PM

I just went ahead and bought a Cooler Master mid tower case last night for $50. This Apevia HTPC case is just presenting too many problems. I hate where the Power Supply sits in the case.....my Radeon 4890 might not even fit, and now the issues with trying to make the H50 fit.....even if I could get it to all go in, I then will worry about general airflow through the case. I just wanted my HTPC to be able to sit horizontal like any other component piece, but I guess I can deal with having a mid tower in my entertainment center.
m
l
February 14, 2010 6:16:00 PM

bgaviator1 said:
I just went ahead and bought a Cooler Master mid tower case last night for $50. This Apevia HTPC case is just presenting too many problems. I hate where the Power Supply sits in the case.....my Radeon 4890 might not even fit, and now the issues with trying to make the H50 fit.....even if I could get it to all go in, I then will worry about general airflow through the case. I just wanted my HTPC to be able to sit horizontal like any other component piece, but I guess I can deal with having a mid tower in my entertainment center.

I am happy to hear that from you. You were scaring me there just a little bit.
m
l
!