lanesharon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I bought a ga-ma78gm-s2h months ago and could not get it to crank up. So, I RMA'd it and got another, same problem. I set it aside and life got crazy. Now, I am back to it and trying to get it up and running. I have the CPU, fan, and memory in it. I have the case power switch connected and a 400W PSU connected. The CPU fan, power supply fan, and case fan power up when I hit the switch, but they stop immediately. If I hold the power switch down, they will all start to crank up and then immediately shut down. I can't believe that I got two bad ones doing exactly the same thing, and yet the PS is supposed to be okay for it. I know the PS works, because I can hook up an old ECS K7S5A on it and all works great.

Any suggestions?

lanesharon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
All the power lines are connected properly. The fact that this board is doing EXACTLY the same thing as the previous RMA'd board, makes me think it is something else.

lanesharon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I'll tear apart the used laptop tomorrow to see if there is one there. I do have a small headphone speaker that I might be able to fab into one.

lanesharon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Ok, got a speaker.
No beeps.
Put in memory from another board, no beeps.
Took out memory, no beeps.
Tried clearing CMOS with jumper and wait. Still no beeps.

Fans turn on, keyboards lights up, LED's come on, but no beeps.

According to the MB manual, I should have gotten at least one short beep with no memory on the board. I am going to try to swap CPU, which is going to be a pain because I have to re-thermal paste the other CPU and remove it out of another machine.

I cannot think of anything else to check it out. Suggestions?

lanesharon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I did, they crackled. Speaker is fine. Shipped it back today, via Gigabyte RMA. I hope they send me a whole new MB, cause this one is not working out, at all. Three strikes and you are out.............

lanesharon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
The speaker was fine. When I powered up, I could very subtly hear it click on, just like a stereo speaker. And, I did test it against a battery to make sure it was working, prior to the suggestion above.

lanesharon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
NO, according to the manual that came with it, I was to plug that in, ONLY if there was a 2x12 connector also on the PSU. My PSU had a 2x10 connector and the 4 prong. Just to be sure, before I mailed it in on the RMA, I plugged that in (after all, can't hurt now). It didn't even turn the fans on, then. Nothing powered up. AMD2 processor that fits within the guidelines for this MB (per Gigabyte).

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H pretty much the same board.
It says in my manual that the 4 pin 12volt plug at the top left supplies the CPU with power. If you do not connect the proper 4 pin 12 volt supply cable to this plug, the computer will not start. If I unplug mine, my fans all run, but it will not boot. The only thing it says about not connecting, is if you have a 2x10 pin power supply connector, do not remove the protective cover from the last 2 pins on the 2x12 pin connector, and do not plug the 2x10 pin connector into the pins under the cover.
If you have a 2x12 pin connector, then remove the protective cover and plug the 2x12 pin connector in using all 24 pins on the board.
But you still MUST plug in the correct 4 pin plug to the 4 pin 12 volt CPU supply plug at the top left of the board.
I would go back and double check all this...I am positive your board would connect the same way mine does.

lanesharon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I guess you didn't read what I said. Before I packed it up, I did plug in that 4 pin connection to the left of the CPU and NOTHING ran. When I took it out, all fans went on, power LED's lit up, keyboard lit up, etc... This is not theoretical. It is exactly what it did.

When I asked you if you had this plugged in, you said "NO". Maybe I mis-understood, or maybe you do have another problem, but if you don't have it plugged in, or you have the wrong cable plugged into it, you will never, ever, for as long as there are crooked politicians get this board to boot. It is keyed, so only 1 plug should fit into it.