Unlocked AMD Phenom X2 to X4, Now what?

idejason

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Okay, I just finished unlocking my two other cores on my AMD Phenom X2 to a X4. Now what? I know I'm supposed to stress test it but i cant find a program that will monitor my temps, AMD Overdrive doesn't start, Speedfan doesn't even put the temps under CPU, GPU etc etc, I tried core temp and that just read 0 degrees.

Help please?

Well I don't know about that. There are hundreds of people unlocking these cores, overclocking and reporting the temps as good.

The individual core temps will always show 0c ( at least on my X3 720 unlocked ) but the CPU temp will report correctly in programs that report it - I use a Gigabyte MOBO and the Easy Tuner 6 program that comes with it does report the cpu temp correctly - Also Everest Ultimate edition works as well - And HWmonitor does report it if you figure out which tmpin under temperatures is the CPU temp (on mine it is TMPIN1 which corresponds to the CPU temp !)

temp.jpg

anubis44

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008

Just remember, now that you've unlocked 2 more cores, you'll be putting out twice the heat at the same clock rate. You should probably consider investing in a better HSF than the stock AMD one, like a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer. I'm using an older Zalman CPNS-9550, and I'm able to run at 3.6GHz with all 4 cores enabled on a Phenom II X2 550BE stable in all games.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
It looks like you got the joy of unlocking and seeing it post as a quadcore but then no joy to see that the extra cores ran too hot and were unstable. But with a better aftermarket cooler, perhaps there's a chance the cooler temps will allow them to be stable and you'll get the $50 added value as if you've puchased a real quadcore.