Sign in with
Your question

Unlocked AMD Phenom X2 to X4, Now what?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 14, 2010 8:27:47 AM

Okay, I just finished unlocking my two other cores on my AMD Phenom X2 to a X4. Now what? I know I'm supposed to stress test it but i cant find a program that will monitor my temps, AMD Overdrive doesn't start, Speedfan doesn't even put the temps under CPU, GPU etc etc, I tried core temp and that just read 0 degrees.

Help please?

More about : unlocked amd phenom

a c 125 K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 1:22:36 PM

try real temp
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2010 8:34:11 AM

Unlocking the disabled cores on a Phenom II X2 disabled the core temp sensor, regardless of program all you'll see is 0C.
m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2010 8:35:46 AM

Fair enough, I had to lock the cores anyway due to extremely high temperatures and crashing on the 3rd and 4th cores.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2010 1:51:54 PM

Quote:
Well I don't know about that. There are hundreds of people unlocking these cores, overclocking and reporting the temps as good.

The individual core temps will always show 0c ( at least on my X3 720 unlocked ) but the CPU temp will report correctly in programs that report it - I use a Gigabyte MOBO and the Easy Tuner 6 program that comes with it does report the cpu temp correctly - Also Everest Ultimate edition works as well - And HWmonitor does report it if you figure out which tmpin under temperatures is the CPU temp (on mine it is TMPIN1 which corresponds to the CPU temp !)

m
l
February 16, 2010 5:21:04 AM

idejason said:
Fair enough, I had to lock the cores anyway due to extremely high temperatures and crashing on the 3rd and 4th cores.

Just remember, now that you've unlocked 2 more cores, you'll be putting out twice the heat at the same clock rate. You should probably consider investing in a better HSF than the stock AMD one, like a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer. I'm using an older Zalman CPNS-9550, and I'm able to run at 3.6GHz with all 4 cores enabled on a Phenom II X2 550BE stable in all games.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2010 5:22:24 PM

It looks like you got the joy of unlocking and seeing it post as a quadcore but then no joy to see that the extra cores ran too hot and were unstable. But with a better aftermarket cooler, perhaps there's a chance the cooler temps will allow them to be stable and you'll get the $50 added value as if you've puchased a real quadcore.
m
l
!