Newbie system builder need help

moviefan

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
This will be my first computer build and I've run into a wall that just widens every time I try to go around it. I will be using this computer for video editing and encoding. I'm looking at trying to keep this build under $1,000. The last two-and-a-half months have been spent researching buying a prebuilt computer or building my own. I don't know if building my own will really cheaper up front, but after seven years with a Dell Dimension 2100 and the limited ability to upgrade/expand, I've decided that extra upfront costs will save money and headaches later.

Now to the meat. I've gotten this far with my build:

Antec Sonata Plus 550 Black/Silver with 550W Power Supply
Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R Socket 775
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2-6400) Dual Channel Kit
OR
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2-6400) Dual Channel Kit
OR
Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2-6400) Dual Channel Kit
750GB Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
LG 22X DVD+/- Burner with Lightscribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30 - OEM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders

As you can see, I'm already not sure which RAM is best, but the wall widened this evening whenever I talked with tech support at Micro Center hoping to get some help with a graphics card recommendation. He huffed and puffed because I hadn't already purchased a system or component(s) from Micro Center until I pointed out that customer service connected me. He gave me a SKU number that doesn't seem to exist on their website. But he did say I need a dual graphics card that supported CrossFire or SLI. He also pointed out my selected mobo wouldn't support said dual cards.

So now I turn to the experts I should have several hours ago. Sorry. I need some help on both a graphics card that can take the load off my CPU while encoding/editing video as well as a mobo that will work. I'm leaning toward Intel Core 2 Quads since my research indicates these work well with such tasks, but I won't turn down AMD suggestions.

Any help would be Oscar-worthy,

moviefan

The Intel quads are excellent for that, as are the AMD Phenom IIs. As for graphics card, I wouldn't go with dual cards or anything like that. A single card should be fine for what you want.

You don't need Crossfire or SLI for what you are doing.
Something in the neighborhood of a 4650-4830 is plenty good. If you do not game....go 4650, casual gaming 4830.
As far as the memory, get whatever is cheaper, no difference for what you are doing as long as you get 4 gig.
At the processor price/level you are looking at, whether to go Intel Quad/AMD Phenom 2 is kind of personal preference. Either will get the job done nicely. About the same price.

aln688

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
For video encoding you don't need a video card that's powerful for games nor SLI, any mid-range card would be fine. After all you're just playing videos on-screen, not gaming. A good mid-range card would be this, the Diamond 4650.

The Intel Quad Core CPU is fine for your video encoding wok as well. The key components to fast video encoding are fast CPU and fast hard-drives, with a lot of space. That Caviar Black HDD should be perfect for the job.

For the RAM, I'd pick the cheapest modules from the three, they are all PC2-6400 after all.