Minimum System Requirements

September 15, 2005 12:31:45 PM

From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I was
wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP Home. I
have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently running
Windows ME. Thanks for your help.
September 15, 2005 12:53:58 PM

Gary wrote:

> From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I was
> wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP Home. I
> have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently running
> Windows ME. Thanks for your help.

That machine should run XP just fine. You should run the XP Upgrade
Advisor to be sure, particularly if you are thinking of doing an
upgrade (install in place) as opposed to a format/clean install. You
can get the Upgrade Advisor here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgradi...

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

In news:11ij4n37l5kd4c0@corp.supernews.com,
Gary <aenelson@smt-net.com> typed:

> From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I
> was
> wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP
> Home. I
> have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently
> running
> Windows ME. Thanks for your help.

Your machine should be fine. It won't break any speed records,
but it's more than many people who run XP successfully use.

I would say that a practical minimum processor speed is around
400MHZ, and 256MB is the minimum RAM needed for reasonable
performance.

Please reply to the newsgroup
September 15, 2005 7:56:05 PM

In article <11ij4n37l5kd4c0@corp.supernews.com>, aenelson@smt-net.com
says...
> From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I was
> wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP Home. I
> have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently running
> Windows ME. Thanks for your help.

256MB is the min for booting XP and your Antivirus software and some
minimal applications. 512MB is a very nice amount for using MS Office
and apps like that.

384MB is the amount in the middle where you can do most things without
hitting the swap file and yet not overkill.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

There are certain hardware requirements that can't be waived - but the basis
is what's the acceptable level of performance that you'll accept for the type
of applications that you're running.

You can run XP at the minimum - and it'll run, albeit slowly. Then you can
do some of the "tweaks" listed on the web - and it'll run a bit faster. So,
you can probably cut back on the specifications - but it'll be like comparing
a skateboard to an automobile.

- John

"Leythos" wrote:

> In article <11ij4n37l5kd4c0@corp.supernews.com>, aenelson@smt-net.com
> says...
> > From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I was
> > wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP Home. I
> > have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently running
> > Windows ME. Thanks for your help.
>
> 256MB is the min for booting XP and your Antivirus software and some
> minimal applications. 512MB is a very nice amount for using MS Office
> and apps like that.
>
> 384MB is the amount in the middle where you can do most things without
> hitting the swap file and yet not overkill.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 12:08:36 AM

Gary <aenelson@smt-net.com> wrote in news:11ij4n37l5kd4c0
@corp.supernews.com:

> From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I was
> wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP Home. I
> have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently running
> Windows ME. Thanks for your help.

Mine is a 1 Ghz Athlon and IMO, it runs great.

It's due for a clean install, which should speed it up a bit. I haven't
done a clean install since Windows 98 in 1999.

I'd up your RAM to AT LEAST 512 megs though. This is obviously an older
motherboard, an I assume a PIII or Athlon, and with SDRAM, so you have to
be careful about buying RAM. PC-133 RAM architecture has changed, and a lot
of older motherboards don't support the low-cost SDRAM being sold now. Most
likely you will be looking for 'low-density' RAM.

Since you already have a 80 gig HD, I'll assume that it's a 7200RPM model.
IMO, the single upgrade that will make the most PERCEIVABLE improvement in
performance is to upgrade the HD from a 5400RPM to a 7200RPM.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 1:14:24 AM

It will run fine on your system. You will likely want to do a bit of
tweaking such as turning off some of the eye candy. The most important is to
turn off indexing services.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Gary" <aenelson@smt-net.com> wrote in message
> From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I was
> wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP Home. I
> have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently running
> Windows ME. Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 6:21:03 PM

Your RAM is the absolute MINIMUM. You should seriously consider investing in
an additional 256 MB of memory. This will speed up your machine by leaps and
bounds with XP.

Donny Broome
donny AT broomeman DOT com
Kill Spyware! Visit: