Minimum System Requirements

From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I was
wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP Home. I
have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently running
Windows ME. Thanks for your help.
7 answers Last reply
More about minimum system requirements

    Gary wrote:

    > From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I was
    > wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP Home. I
    > have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently running
    > Windows ME. Thanks for your help.

    That machine should run XP just fine. You should run the XP Upgrade
    Advisor to be sure, particularly if you are thinking of doing an
    upgrade (install in place) as opposed to a format/clean install. You
    can get the Upgrade Advisor here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    In news:11ij4n37l5kd4c0@corp.supernews.com,
    Gary <aenelson@smt-net.com> typed:

    > From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I
    > was
    > wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP
    > Home. I
    > have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently
    > running
    > Windows ME. Thanks for your help.

    Your machine should be fine. It won't break any speed records,
    but it's more than many people who run XP successfully use.

    I would say that a practical minimum processor speed is around
    400MHZ, and 256MB is the minimum RAM needed for reasonable
    performance.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    In article <11ij4n37l5kd4c0@corp.supernews.com>, aenelson@smt-net.com
    says...
    > From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I was
    > wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP Home. I
    > have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently running
    > Windows ME. Thanks for your help.

    256MB is the min for booting XP and your Antivirus software and some
    minimal applications. 512MB is a very nice amount for using MS Office
    and apps like that.

    384MB is the amount in the middle where you can do most things without
    hitting the swap file and yet not overkill.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    There are certain hardware requirements that can't be waived - but the basis
    is what's the acceptable level of performance that you'll accept for the type
    of applications that you're running.

    You can run XP at the minimum - and it'll run, albeit slowly. Then you can
    do some of the "tweaks" listed on the web - and it'll run a bit faster. So,
    you can probably cut back on the specifications - but it'll be like comparing
    a skateboard to an automobile.

    - John

    Gary <aenelson@smt-net.com> wrote in news:11ij4n37l5kd4c0
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I was
    > wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP Home. I
    > have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently running
    > Windows ME. Thanks for your help.

    Mine is a 1 Ghz Athlon and IMO, it runs great.

    It's due for a clean install, which should speed it up a bit. I haven't
    done a clean install since Windows 98 in 1999.

    I'd up your RAM to AT LEAST 512 megs though. This is obviously an older
    motherboard, an I assume a PIII or Athlon, and with SDRAM, so you have to
    be careful about buying RAM. PC-133 RAM architecture has changed, and a lot
    of older motherboards don't support the low-cost SDRAM being sold now. Most
    likely you will be looking for 'low-density' RAM.

    Since you already have a 80 gig HD, I'll assume that it's a 7200RPM model.
    IMO, the single upgrade that will make the most PERCEIVABLE improvement in
    performance is to upgrade the HD from a 5400RPM to a 7200RPM.

    It will run fine on your system. You will likely want to do a bit of
    tweaking such as turning off some of the eye candy. The most important is to
    turn off indexing services.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Gary" <aenelson@smt-net.com> wrote in message
    > From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I was
    > wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP Home. I
    > have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently running
    > Windows ME. Thanks for your help.

    Your RAM is the absolute MINIMUM. You should seriously consider investing in
    an additional 256 MB of memory. This will speed up your machine by leaps and
    bounds with XP.

    Donny Broome
    donny AT broomeman DOT com
    Kill Spyware! Visit:
    http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/

    "Gary" <aenelson@smt-net.com> wrote in message
    > From other people's experiences (not what the package says), I was
    > wondering what the minimum requirements for running Windows XP Home. I
    > have a 900 MHz computer, 256mb ram, 80G hard drive currently running
    > Windows ME. Thanks for your help.

Microsoft Windows XP