Your question

I7 920 temp question

Tags:
  • Intel i7
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 14, 2010 5:08:38 PM

I've just built my first system:
cpu - i7 920 , cooler - megahalems rev B.
mobo - rampage 2
card - ati hd 8750
case - atcs 840

So i'm curious if the temps i got allow me room for overclocking. Currently after about 4 hours of prime 95 the highest temps I got are 53,53,50,50 C( mobo is at 29 ). I think I can improve them a bit by reapplying the tim, but i dunno if i should be bothered.

More about : 920 temp question

February 14, 2010 9:31:01 PM

If those temps are stock, you have a decent amount of headroom. Personally I keep my i7 under 65C during prime 95.
February 15, 2010 8:26:24 AM

I did, and he was swift to reply, thanks :) 
Related resources
a c 166 K Overclocking
February 15, 2010 2:40:17 PM

My guess is that you can do a heck of a lot lower.

1. Go to the Tools Section of the BIOS , drop down to the 2nd entry Asus OC Profile and this is where you can save Overclocking profiles.
2. Save your current "Default" setup.
3. Go to the Extreme Tweaker section of the BIOS and use the CPU Level Up feature to automatically set all BIOS necessary settings to i7-965 speeds.
4. Go back to the Tools menu and save this OC profile as say "i7-965"
5. Go to the Extreme Tweaker section of the BIOS and change the AI Overclock Tuner to "Manual"
6. Go to the CPU Configuration Menu, CPU Voltage and drop down to 1.15 ... do ya testing (See below).
7. If it passes, drop voltage 0.0125 volts (2 increments) 2 and retest.
8. "Rinse and repeat" Step 5 until you get a failure. Once you get a failure, increase it one increment (0.00625) and retest. If that doesn't work, you already know increasing it another 0.00625 is stable because you have already tested that. I got down to about 1.1 volts but as it didn't drop temps any more than 1.125 levels, I left at 1.125
9. Next make sure that you have correctly set your memory CAS timings to "what's on the box".
10. Then you can adjust DRAM Bus Voltage by repeating steps 4 - 6 but by dropping memory voltage instead of CPU Voltage....memory voltage increment is 0.01325. Mine wound up at 1.56406.
11. Go back to the Tools Section and save this profile as say "Stock-LV" (Low Voltage).
12. Your temps should be a lot lower now.

Testing Procedure:

This is what i did, it may work for you. I ran 3 tests in sequence thinking that I will save a lot of time by doing the shorter ones 1st ....if ya can knock out a profile in 5 minutes, well that's better than wasting 5 hours I figure.

1. Download all the tools ....Linx, OCCT, Prime95, RealTemp, CoreTemp, CPI-z, GPU-z, whatever
2. Open a temp monitoring program and CPU-z and run Linx..... should take about 5 minutes on your system. If it passes, move on to next step.
3. Run OCCT's CPU Torture test (60 minutes). It displays all temp and other info you need. If it passes, go back and try another BIOS setting.
4. "Rinse and repeat" steps 2 and 3 till ya get a failure. Back up to your most recent "passed" settings) and run P95 overnight. If it passes, save that profile.

Memtest

Before doing any serious OC'ing, it's best to test the memory.

1. Go into BIOS and set your CPU multiplier to 12. This to take the CPU "out of the equation" so to speak so that we'll know that, if we get an error, it will definitely be a memory error.
2. Assuming that you have DDR3-1600, with the default memory multiplier of 8, your memory will run at 1600 Mhz w/ a BCLK of 200. Note that in the R2E, you don't select the multiplier. The BIOS does the math for you and will default to 1600 but if you try and change it, it will read the actual speeds not the multipliers.
3. Run Memtest at least 12 hours, if i passes, you're cool to OC

Overclocking the R2E

1. Try increasing the BCLK in increments of 3 from the 965 Level Up setting.
2. Do ya testing between each one. As a failure will liklely wipe ya BIOS settings, sace the profile after each passed test.
3. If ya fail, go back to the last passed profile and increase BCLK by 1, that passes, increase by 1, that passes, you're done with adjusting BCLK w/o changing any other BIOS settings. I'd save that profile as your everyday 365/24 profile.

For me that was VOU Voltage at 1.125, DRAM Voltage at 1.56406, BCLK at 177 and all other settings at default, that is Auto or Enabled except forthe following which are disabled by default.

A20M [Disabled]
Intel (R) C_STATE Tech [Disabled]
Extreme OV [Disabled]
Keyboard TweakIt Control [Disabled]

With the Prolimatech Megashadow, and IC Diamond 7 Karat TIM, we have the following temps at 3.7 Ghz:

HWMonitor (Peak) Readings under Prime95
CPU Temp 46
Core 1 56
Core 2 54
Core 3 55
Core 4 54

RealTemp (Peak) Readings under Prime95
Core 1 58
Core 2 54
Core 3 55
Core 4 54

After that played with various other BIOS settings and have other working profiles at 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 GHz Didn't do extensive testing or tweaking with these as my son kinda lost interest ....temps on those ran 72, 68, 67, 66 under OCCT.

February 15, 2010 5:35:30 PM

WoW, thanks for the informative replay JackNaylorPE. As far as i get it you suggest, for the first part, using the auto settings of the board and dropping the voltage as far as it would go to find the coolest stock. As for OC'ing use auto for 965 and increment till it blows.
I'll give that a shot.
Today I played with the settings a bit and never managed to crash the system, however i'm obviously missing something since my manual overclocks run slower then the stock...
What I find confusing is that I thought with totally blotched settings it would crash, but no dice it ran nice and stable, but got 3d Mark scores of 5000( whereas the stock settings get 17000).
a c 166 K Overclocking
February 21, 2010 5:23:57 PM

Go to the Asus forum....motherboards section....most important topics thread.....

The "Overclocking the i&" Guide there is the best I have seen.
!