Sign in with
Your question

High temperatures?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 14, 2010 5:45:09 PM

Hello, I have recently built a new build and I bought a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 as a CPU cooler and started up my computer. Right now, the computer doesn't have the hard drive because it's still shipping in but I can get into the BIOS. I checked the CPU readings and I saw that the cooler temperature was at 37C idle in the BIOS! I am currently using the thermal paste that is included in the package but I think the temps are from bad thermal paste. I am positive it was installed properly but I just want to know what the problem is at the moment. The current room temperature is about 24C. My case is an Antec 300 with no added fans, just the current two.

System Specs
AMD Athlon II X3 2.9ghz
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 CPU cooler
MSI NF750-G55 SLi
OCZ ModXStream 500w
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB 1600mhz
Samsung Spinpoint 500gb(not in yet)

More about : high temperatures

a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 6:26:04 PM

Two fans?

The Antec three hundred pc case comes with two fans.

You mentioned Hyper 212 instead of Hyper 212+. The original Coolermaster Hyper 212 comes with two cpu heatsink fans.

That makes a grand total of 4 fans. Do you have all 4 fans running?

Two optional fans can be installed in the bottom front of the case. Are you going to purchase and install the two optional fans?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 6:33:04 PM

I would be inclined to get some Arctic Silver 5 and give it another try.

Also are you using one fan or two?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 6:49:02 PM

Arctic Silver 5 requires 200 hours of operation with a lot of on/off switching to cure. It would be quite a while before cooling is stable. I do not remember if the Coolermaster thermal compound requires curing or not. I used IC 7 Carat Diamond when I installed a Hyper 212 in a case mod I did. That compound usually requires the cpu to be run at full load for an hour or so before cooling is stable. Different compounds have different requirements.
m
l
February 14, 2010 6:54:22 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Two fans?

The Antec three hundred pc case comes with two fans.

You mentioned Hyper 212 instead of Hyper 212+. The original Coolermaster Hyper 212 comes with two cpu heatsink fans.

That makes a grand total of 4 fans. Do you have all 4 fans running?

Two optional fans can be installed in the bottom front of the case. Are you going to purchase and install the two optional fans?

sorry it was the 212+ and the antec 300 comes with two fans yes, I just didnt add any
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 6:55:26 PM

OK! Did you install fans on the 212+? Are they running?
m
l
February 14, 2010 6:56:09 PM

LoneWolf_53 said:
I would be inclined to get some Arctic Silver 5 and give it another try.

Also are you using one fan or two?

right now Im using one fan, I will try arctic silver if curing the thermal compund doesnt work.
m
l
February 14, 2010 6:56:34 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Arctic Silver 5 requires 200 hours of operation with a lot of on/off switching to cure. It would be quite a while before cooling is stable. I do not remember if the Coolermaster thermal compound requires curing or not. I used IC 7 Carat Diamond when I installed a Hyper 212 in a case mod I did. That compound usually requires the cpu to be run at full load for an hour or so before cooling is stable. Different compounds have different requirements.

Thanks for the reply, I'll try curing and if that doesn't work I'll try arctic silver
m
l
February 14, 2010 6:57:32 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
OK! Did you install fans on the 212+? Are they running?

I am using the one fan that came with the 212+, it is running at 1800-2200 RPM in bios
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 7:01:09 PM

The Antec Three Hundred is a very popular pc case with gamers on a budget. Ventilation, airflow, and cooling are excellent. It would be a good idea to wait and run the pc for a couple of weeks before doing anything else. You also might want to consider installing two fans in the front of the case. The classic configuration is incoming air at the bottom front of the case and outgoing air at the top rear of the case.

Here is a link to a web page in a Tom's hardware article that shows the classic configuration:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-motherboard-gu...
m
l
February 14, 2010 9:17:14 PM

I have a little question though, can 95% ethanol alchohol clean off thermal paste from the CPU and heat sink without corrosion?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 10:35:15 PM

I use 95% isopropyl alcohol that is very very cheap at the local drug store (pharmacy). I use it sparingly. I am not familiar with ethanol alcohol.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 11:20:54 PM

^ That's what I use and it works great as it evaporates quickly leaving a clean dry surface.

Mind you ringelos it does have to be used rationally with a clean lint free cloth or Q-tips work well too.
m
l
!