What kind of power does this hard drive take?

wocketpatch

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I've acquired a hard drive with no power cord, and the plug for this thing is an unfamiliar (to me) configuration. Can anyone tell me if this is a super uncommon type of plug, or if it might be worth my time to keep my eye out at Goodwill for one? The port looks sorta like an old PS/2 connector. I couldn't find any sort of model number on the drive, just an iomega logo.

iomega.jpg

I assume it's a standard enclosure but for the life of me I can't find any way to open the thing up to get the drive out which leads me to believe they didn't want me to do that for some reason.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

IOMEGA uses its own power supplies. That one probably has 12V, 5V and Ground across multiple pins. You should ask them for the replacement power adapter.

wocketpatch

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for your help, though I am trying to avoid purchasing a new adapter from Iomega, because this HD is only 200 gb... I can't tell just from the website which power cord fits this drive, but at the prices I'm seeing for most of what they have available on their website, it would make more sense to throw this away and buy a newer bigger hard drive.

Seems like a waste of a perfectly good 200gb drive though, and I want to use this for my backups.

It appears the Iomega Jaz drive has the same shape plug. Can anyone confirm if the power cord for the Jaz drive will likely work for this HD? I can find a Jaz drive on eBay for cheaper than they want for their power adapters alone.

Thanks again!