XP Install, No Mouse

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Okay, where do i start. First off i've got a computer i build myself about 3yr back now that was (until yesterday) a duel boot system with Window XP Pro SP3, and the latest version of Ubuntu on it. Both were kept up to date. Here is what has happened and where i am:

Stage 1:
Starting 3 days back now i was surfing a 'shifty' website and got some malware which done redirects on Firefox to ad websites. I started by updating and running a scan with Malwarebytes which resulted in a find and fix. I then tried some Google searches and it seemed to be fixed however about 3hr later when trying to look something up i noticed this was not that case.

Stage 2:
I checked again for updates for both Malwarebytes and Spybot, applied said updates and rebooted in safe mode. Ran both Spybot and Malwarebytes this time with no positive results. Opened Firefox and checked for shifty looking Add-on's but none found.

Stage 3:
Booted back up normally. Opened task manager to see if there are any fishy looking programs running but none. Monitored task manager as i start Firefox and try some test searches but nothing showing up in task manager during the redirects. Open up IE to see if the problem is just in Firefox but redirects are present in IE also. Download AVG and scan as i now many swear by it but it finds nothing.

Stage 4:
Boot into safe mode with networking. Manual search common folders for malware (ex Internet Folders, System Folders, etc) but find nothing to particular other then Java no longer runs correctly. Gives a "virtual machine failed to start" or somewhere along those lines. Leads me to believe Java may have somehow been infected so i remove all Java Add-on's from firefox and delete Java from my computer. Problem is still there.

Stage 5:
After 2 days of continued manual searching, scanning, and Google searches to solve problem i say screw it ill just format. The computer has about 2yr since last format so it was needing one anyway tbh.

Stage 6:
Windows CD Boot - No keyboard response
Put keyboard & mouse on PS2 via adapter - No BIOS keyboard response
Try backup keyboard still on PS2 - BIOS & Windows get keyboard
Windows fresh boot - No mouse
Change to USB for mouse - No mouse
Buy new mouse - Still no mouse (either way)

So any ideas on the problems, particularly with the keyboard - mouse. Unless i can figure this out by some internet searches or responses by the end of the day im going to just install Ubuntu and say the heck with WinXP.

susennath

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
* Ad-Aware 9.0.2.0
* AntiVir Personal 10.0.0.635
* Avast! Free Antivirus 6.0.1000
* AVG Free Edition 10.0.1204 (32-bit)
* CWShredder 2.19
* HijackThis 2.0.4
* Rootkit Revealer 1.71
* Security Essentials 2.0.657 Vista
* Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.2
* SpywareBlaster 4.4
* Windows Defender 1.1.1593
this all are recommend soft ware for anti malware , pls any one download from web and before pls format ur programming drive and then run any one software.
after pls insert avest antivirus above version 5 and a serial has been given u.

---------- cut here ----------
C55991770H1200A0213-WLXYWSDT
---------- cut here ----------e

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Sorry for any confusion. To clarify, i have completely formatted the HD in question when going to install a fresh copy of WinXP, it is currently the only OS and the main problem is the keyboard & mouse issues with the new install. If i could get the mouse working i would be good to go because all my main drivers require mouse-click selection.

susennath

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
STEP 1: BE SURE THAT UR MOUSE AND KEY BOARD ARE OK IN ALL CONDITIONS.

STEP 2: BE SURE PS2/USB (ACCORDING TO UR MOUSE+KEY INPUT) MOTHERBOARD SECTION IN UR MOTHER BOARD ARE OK.

STEP 3: IF BOTH STEP 1 AND STEP 2 ARE OK THEN CONSECUTIVE PORT SECTION IN UR MOTHER SECTION MAY BE REQUIRED FOR CHEEP LEVEL REPAIRING, IC MAY BE DAMAGED.

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

I had done STEP 1 and STEP 2. To test STEP 3 i used my girlfriends laptop to make a Ubuntu 10.10 bootable usb drive. The logic was that if it was not a hardware issue it should work in Ubuntu and it did. Both USB and PS2 configuration with both old and new Keyboard & Mouse setups worked. As a result i just went ahead and formatted the HD and installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu.

The only thing i can think of that would cause this would be some problem with my WinXP boot disc. Like a scratch in the CD gives a corrupt system file maybe? Does anyone else know of a way this could happen?

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

I did not see any messages like that on the installation. In total i tried three times to do a complete whip of the HD and reinstall of WinXP to see if something went wrong with the install. Doesn't make any sense to me as i have installed from the same disc before on the same computer with the same hardware and had no issues at all. I'm hoping it is more a fluke with my computer instead of the disc because my parents build is on the same OS.