Sign in with
Your question

DVD Drive - Tray Open Time

Last response: in Storage
March 27, 2010 3:37:17 PM

I am running XP Pro SP3, fully patched on a machine GamePC in Palo Alto built for me twoyears ago. It is based on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Intel P35 ATX mobo with a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4 GHz) Quad Core processor.

Does anyone know if software controls the amount of time a DVD drive tray remains open before it snaps shut automatically? If so, is it buried in the OS somewhere?

I have a brand new Sony Optiarc Model AD-7241S DVD writer. GamePC exchanged my old Samsung DRW-S203NB Lightscribe for this device when the Samsung began consistently burning coasters.

At some point the Samsung began snapping shut very quickly when I pushed the load button and released it. I was hoping that the Sony would behave like my legacy HP CDWriter 9200i. It stays open until I push the load button a second time to close the tray. This suits my 70-year-old dexterity a lot better. I am hoping that there is a setup file somewhere that I can open and change to make both drives behave the same way.

Thanks,

baumgrenze
a c 415 G Storage
March 27, 2010 4:26:00 PM

I've never seen a drive that closes it's tray on it's own. All the drives I've ever used wait until you press the "load" button or until you ask a piece of software like "Nero" to close the tray.

But I have seen the tray close if I fumble with the "load" button a bit and end up hitting it twice instead of once.
m
l
March 27, 2010 7:02:52 PM

Thanks, but sorry. A simple push of the button yields a 'tray open' that lasts 4-5 seconds before it closes. Sometime it is faster, not remaining open at all but just open-close. It's irritating, to say the least. At least this drive does not make coasters.
m
l
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
March 27, 2010 7:13:25 PM

If the auto-close behaviour affected both the original and the replacement drive, and if they're different drives, it really sounds like there's some program running on your machine that might be doing this.

What kind of burning software do you use? I'd look through the menus to see if there are some preference settings that control that behaviour...
m
l
March 27, 2010 7:41:00 PM

It happens with Nero Essentials 7 and with InfraRecorderPortable 0.45.0.0. It only happens with the DVD drive. Not on my legacy HP CD-Writer, SCSI CD drive.

In the interim I ran a HiJackThis scan and I see that somewhere/somehow I acquired a copy of Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) (C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LanguageShortcut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\Language\Language.exe"

O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe

Does this hypothesis make sense?

thanks,

baumgrenze
m
l
March 27, 2010 8:39:03 PM

Here is one more observation, grabbed when I had another minute. All the system software that came installed with my PC seems to be at the top of the list when I open Start>All Programs. This software is there. When I run msconfig it is one of the running services. I can't figure out how to access it to check if it is configured to open/close the DVD drive in some sort of auto-mode.

thanks

baumgrenze
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
March 28, 2010 3:36:08 AM

One thing to try is to use msconfig to turn off the suspect programs or services and then reboot to see if (a) the auto-close behaviour stops, and (b) you can still do all the other stuff you normally do.

If the answer to both is "yes", then you've probably solved your problem.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 28, 2011 11:57:36 PM

sminlal said:
If the auto-close behaviour affected both the original and the replacement drive, and if they're different drives, it really sounds like there's some program running on your machine that might be doing this.

What kind of burning software do you use? I'd look through the menus to see if there are some preference settings that control that behaviour...

ive found that with winamp installed using any other softwere to eject the tray will results in this problem!

ive not been bothered to find a proper solution so just use winamp every time!

sounds like a pain but you would be amazed how little we actually use cds
m
l
!