Sign in with
Your question

SATA 3 (GA-P55A-UD4P) or Intel SATA for OCZ SSD?

Last response: in Storage
March 27, 2010 6:31:16 PM

Hi,

Building a new rig and so far, so good. Question: I just purchased a 60 Gb SSD OCZ Agility Series II drive and I'm wondering if I should hook it up to the Intel P55 SATA ports, or to the Marvel SATA 3 ports. I am aware that this will reduce my PCI-E to 8x, but I haven't read a benchmark yet that provides this to be a bottleneck. I have a ATI 5850 and do not plan on using SLI/Crossfire.

Will the SATA 3 controller give me an advantage or is the native Intel controller better for non-SATA 3 devices.

Thanks so much!
a b G Storage
March 28, 2010 12:18:43 PM

I don't think a single SSD is going to flood a SATA II connection, so I'd hook it there if it's not going to lower your PCI-E bandwidth. From what I've read, 8x PCI doesn't affect your performance massively, but it does have some impact.
m
l
March 28, 2010 4:37:54 PM

gtvr said:
I don't think a single SSD is going to flood a SATA II connection, so I'd hook it there if it's not going to lower your PCI-E bandwidth. From what I've read, 8x PCI doesn't affect your performance massively, but it does have some impact.

Thanks. I read this on the OCZ forums answering my question: "The Vertex [Agility as well] doesn't support SATA3, so switching to that controller wouldn't help your performance and it might even hurt your performance, as the Marvell Controllers are usually quite a bit slower than the ICH10R for small writes/reads"
m
l
!