8800 GT @ 88 C??

Cpt Deadboots

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Hey guys. I have an XFX 8800 GT Alpha Dog XT... the 640 MHz/512mb version. It is idling at 60+ C and load at almost 90 C. Maybe just a crap stock cooler? My EVGA 8800 GS idled at 43 and loaded at 68ish.

Yes, I am using RivaTuner.

Yes, the fan is at 80+ % (doesn't make a difference once it is 70 %ish).

Is the HSF hitting thermal saturation this fast? Could I have a faulty thermal sensor?

Will XFX send me a new card without a huge hassle? Should I just let it run this hot (I don't artifact or anything)?

thewingnut13

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
I also have a 8800GT and it runs underload at 95C. Download Rivatuner and crank up your fan speed. I have mine running at 100% while gamming and at 65% at other times. Nvidia says the cards are fine unless they go over 105C.

Cpt Deadboots

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Alright...

Thanks. Glad to hear your card is the same way. Maybe it's the extra 16 pipes on the GT vs. the GS... I'd still feel more comfortable if it ran a bit cooler.

Oh well.

Thats normal and as far as XFX will be concerned you don't have a problem as long as the cards seems to be performing well, keeping it cooler however would be in your best interests, as far as the longevity of the cards life.

Mine run at 42c idle 48c load with a Zalman VF1000 cooler and I have 2 BFG 8800GT 512M in SLI, bios flashed overclocked to 726/1819/1003.

Your situation is pretty much average with the stock cooler, however with those temps sometimes you may run into freezes in games, the aftermarket cooling makes a big difference and is worth every penny it costs.

Proper case airflow is also very important in even the stock coolers performance, since it exhausts the heated air inside the case, thats a design I wish would be banned, IMO GPU exhaust should be directed out the rear of the case, Period.

I dunno, I can believe the 42 idle, but 48 under load on air is hard to believe....? Is that cooler actually that good?

Cpt Deadboots

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
^ I did... I put some Arctic Cooling MX-2 on it. Initially, idle was way down. I think the cooler gets thermally saturated very quickly. It was back up to ~60 C in no time.

And yeah, my display driver failed several times while playing Guild Wars (should be nothing for a GT). I'm RMAing ASAP.

TRENDING THREADS