Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Ever since I installed my new power supply which is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103942

sometimes my computer doesnt turn on or the light around my turn ons creen doesnt light up, but the fans do and they seem to turn on loud as well (than usual). But when i turn it back off (the fans) and press it again it turns on. I am not sure if its a psu problem (too much under load) or if its my hard drive. I am running a 9800 gt 2x 46000+ anthlon, 4 gigs ram, one hard drive.

runmymouth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Your gpu is taking 300W under load, cpu takes ~100W. I doubt this thing is actually even giving you 430W (most don't give cited power). You really need a 550W or more for a 9800

runmymouth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I just thought of something else that has happened to me before. Bad ram might be the culpurate. Also the thermal paste may not be on properly on your cpu.

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
when you say load do you mean my psu doesnt know how to direct the amps on the 12v rails correctly or that my system has too many things for it to load up?

runmymouth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Too many things are drawing power for how much power is available. If you have an old power unit try plugging the video card in through that with the case open to see if it will boot.

spunker

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
You tried disconnecting non essentials yet to see if it makes any difference? Fans, DVDs, HDDs etc etc. Does it boot to windows when you do get it to start? Have you managed to do any kind of stress testing and if so is it stable?? PSU shouldnt be too hard to rule out if it is too weedy to power your system.

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
actually, it boots to windows and plays games and everything when it starts. and most of the time it does start, only sometimes it doesnt and only the fans do.

spunker

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
OK, that rules out underpowered PSU then. Im getting too technical for myself here but i would only guess that it is either an intermitant fault with the PSU or with the motherboard power management. Just cant see why any other components would cause that kind of issue. I suppose my next move would be try another PSU so at least you could rule that out, if of course you can lay your hands on a spare one.

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I was thinking my hard drive though cause it for some reasons makes a lot of noise sometimes after loading an app and wont stop making that loading/being really busy with data noise until i turn it off and back on.

spunker

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Maybe you do have an issue with your harddrive but i just cant see the connection with that and your startup problems. In my experience with faulty harddrives i have always managed a post screen and bois at least. When your system fails to power up does it make the crazy HDD sound at that point? Do you have an old PSU or HDD you can try?

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
no it doesnt make that weird noise (like its loading something), it only does it after I play a game for a while or installed some large program, or got some windows error.

spunker

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I think maybe your computer has poltergeist, you certainly do have weird problems. My guess is that the HDD problem is quite possibly software as it sounds like it is just being accessed like crazy. All the faulty HDDs i remember either dont work at all or just make strange skippy noises. As for the power up issues ive still got my money on PSU/mobo. Hopefully someone a little wiser than me may be able to help you a little better than me. By this point i would have my pc in bits ruling them out 1 by 1.

A possible explanation. Especially if the current(s) are close to max, or (Not Your case) cheak a** PSU.

It could be a problem with the inrush current. When you first power on the current Can be very high for a short time ie milliseconds and may be interering with the "I'm OK" signal. When the power is turned off and back on some of the capacitors are still charged and the inrush current is lower. Note, as MBs age the inrush current increases primaily due to capacitor aging. Only whay to rule out is to try a Higher wattage PSU

In rush current is one of the reason slow blow fuses are used in may electronic systems. This is the reason that Lights may flicker when you turn on a vacuum cleaner

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Then what you do is go through the scientific process. First and foremost, run a ram check. Any weird/interesting things can be symptoms of erratic ram. If that checks out after the 7th pass or so, then you go through the line.

First, you remove all PCI/PCI-e cards possible. I cant tell you how many people have purchased new computers because of a shorting modem stopping their pc in it's tracks.

After this, use a Powersupply tester to quickly check that your powersupply is both supplying the correct voltages and ampres, and it does not overvoltage. You can get one from newegg.com, just search for power supply tester.

If the power supply is running well, and you have only the essentials plugged in, then the power supply is not the culprit.

Now, remove all but one stick of ram. Place it in the slot closest to the CPU, and test. If it's still not working, move it to the next slot. If it's STILL not working, you've ruled out both ram, and faulty ramslots.

This leaves you with either a malfunctioning motherboard and or CPU. Now you can decide if it's worth it to take it to a local PC shop to have them test the Motherboard/CPU on their equiptment, or to replace the combo outright.

If this is a new psu, and things were working before, then you must suspect the psu. It could be faulty, or underpowered.
It should be ok, but failures are not unknown.

First, though,run memtest86+ for a pass or two to check that the ram is ok.

Next, run prime95 for 30 minutes or so, with rounding checking to test the ram in a different way, and also the cpu. Look to see if there are any errors, and look for abnormally high temperatures. Monitor the temps with speedfan or similar.

Are you overclocking anything? A failed start can be a symptom that the bios needs to reset itself. unplugging the psu can sometimes do that. Back off any overclocks. Check the gpu clocks, and reset to standard.

What mobo/cpu/ram etc are you using?