Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XIGMATEK Dark Knight or Cooler Master Hyper 212 +

Last response: in Overclocking
February 15, 2010 5:14:56 AM

Hello guys, I'm going to be overclocking my phenom ii x3 720 (unlocked). Which of these coolers would do a better job cooling. I have a $50 budget(pathetic i know). I'm also open to any other suggestions.

February 15, 2010 6:10:12 AM

I have the dark knight on my i7-860. It does an amazing job but of course theres some drawback.

You need a big(wide) case for the dark knight.

Your mobo will have to come out to install the backplate.

The dark knight was kinda difficult to install if you factor in tearing down you rig and the cooler itself is also a pain.

The good is with my i7 running with turbo, hyperthread, and stock clock it idles at 24 and maxes out with prime 95 at 39.

The fan itself looks cool. White leds on the fan worked for me cause Im kinda tired of red/blue led everything.

I really dont know how the other performs cause ive never owned it. On youtube tjharlow(does great work!) swears by the dark knight and it hasnt failed me yet. Just make sure you remove the stock crap paste and put on the trusty arctic silver 5.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2010 7:08:47 AM

For the X3 720BE, the Dark Knight is easy to install. No need to take out the board at all. It has the same install mechanism as the stock AMD cooler.

The CM Hyper 212+ is hard to install both for AMD or Intel motherboard but is cheaper. You really have to take out the motherboard from the case for this.

Between the 2 options I recommend the Dark Knight.

By the way, what is your case? You need at least an 206mm wide case to accommodate the height of both Dark Knight & Hyper which are at 160mm.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2010 11:02:42 AM

Both are very good cpu heatsink coolers.

Here is a link to a very good web site with a lot of useful information about cpu heatsinks that will help you make an informed decision:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

You can read the technical reviews of both cpu heatsinks and decide for yourself.
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2010 12:47:40 PM

With a $50 budget I'd go with the 212+ and add a second fan to set up as a push\pull config along with some high quality thermal compound.
February 15, 2010 3:22:52 PM

Lol I don't have a case atm my motherboard is just sitting on mobo case. I'll be fitting it in a HAF 932 soon. Ya I got the 212+ since it was cheaper and I bought a second 120mm fan with 90CFM airflow. Gonna go with push\pull config as JDan said.
m
l
February 15, 2010 3:23:25 PM

Best answer selected by hperez.
m
l
February 17, 2010 10:14:10 PM

I went with the Dark Knight and added another 120mm on it and have not been disappointed, with a Q9550 @3.8 in a Antec 900 case. Even had room to spare to add a Scythe Slim 120 on the Antec side.
m
l
February 19, 2010 6:26:19 PM

I have the Hyper 212 + and I love it, I went from a Ultra Xwind that I got with my barebones kit and it dropped my temps from hitting over 70c in 10 minutes on stress tester to never going over 43c with auto fan control and one fan.

Highly recommend Hyper 212+, cant get anything better for the money.
m
l
!