Sign in with
Your question

How much gain is expected from a Lapped CPU IHS?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 15, 2010 11:00:54 AM

After reading some guides, I've decided to give it a go to see if I can lower my temps a bit by lapping my IHS. I've lapped my i7 920 and only notice about 3-4 degrees difference. I haven't lapped my Heatsink yet but how much gains should I expect from the lapped CPU and would it be okay to re-lap it?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2010 11:54:53 AM

I'm guessing another 2-3 degrees C from lapping your IHS. The i7 920, I wouldn't suggest lapping it again, but maybe give it another 5 minutes with the 2000 grit.
m
l
February 15, 2010 11:59:33 AM

Thanks.. but I guess I won't be able to see the big gains until I do my heatsink as well. Having one object flat while the other protrudes or concaves won't do much. Kinda like putting a ball on a flat table.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2010 2:00:43 PM

I have lapped a cpu and a cpu heatsink. The temperature difference was just a little less than 2C. The results were similar what others have been reporting. The drop in temperature is insignifcant for the typical user or gamer. The only reason I did it was to see if I could do it.
m
l
February 16, 2010 1:17:10 AM

Quick question, my CPU's corners descends downwards, should I lap until it's leveled?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2010 1:22:04 AM

@ Oatmealz

Depends on how far down to make it level. If the corner is decended, then chances are the whole chip may be at a slant. If so, then i would lap down to it. If it is just the very corner, then it probably wont be worth it depending on how far down you would need to go to make it level.
m
l
!