the 4850 experience

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
hey guys, i just got myself a very juicy 4850 yesterday (along with a copy of cod5). dang it was blazing fast compared to my old 9600gt. but then again ATI is giving me the same old experience with the 9600pro that i got a few years back - super fast / super instability.

i noticed that my RAM usage got a bit higher (3gb installed, had virtual memory turned off), caused Crysis Warhead tons of crashes. but i was able to fixed it by killing oracleDB that was running on the background. it made me play @ the enthusiast level somewhere around 25fps, that put a big smile on my face.

i noticed some irritating glitch with cod4, too when you try to pitch down, you'll see a very freaky choppiness.

then i tested how it will perform with race driver grid, i had it all on the maximum detail settings (w/ vysnc on). sure it was fast the first 5 seconds but then it crashes after. err what should i do?

my guess is that this error mustve been causing the crash. this is @ startup

rundll.jpg

i read that you need to use driver cleaner pro when you're switching from an nvidia to an ati card, but DCP is not free anymore (sucks). so i used guru3d's driver sweeper instead.

i run it the first time and it had no errors. since the crashes was still haunting me i decided to run it again.

ss2.jpg

and it gave me this:

ss3.jpg

theres 2 more registry entries that has something to do with nvidia, is it causing my race driver grid crashes?
how do i fix the rundll errors at startup? please no "REFORMAT" suggestions, thats not plausible.

specs:

q6600 @ 3.0ghz
3gbRAM
p5k-se
hd4850
vx450

P.S. i may not be able to reply quickly as i'll be out.

You did not mention it, so it must be asked. Are you using the most up to date Catalyst drivers? And if so, have you tried an older version to see if the problem goes away there?

accu

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
i have the same rundill. startup problem like yours. i went from nvidia to ati/amd only that i forgot to uninstall everything from nvidia 1st. but everything is fine for me.

fudgeboy

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008

wow. first person (that i have been aware of) to ever call a graphics card juicy.
as a human being - respect goes way down.

...as a nerd....jealousy goes way up...

accu

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
yeah, everything is normal for me. i dont think the missing rundill. @startup is the problem. did it say anything about the crashes like what kind of error? if other games work then you should re-install grid.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
problem fixed. i tried a different race other than the one where you're suppose to drive a "lamborghini murcielago". i opt for the le mans challenge instead and voila, everything is good, no crash whatsoever, even the other race where you're suppose to drift. i skipped school today just to fix this. this is silly. i just hope i wont encounter this later on career mode.

ferrari is amd's partner, ferrari hates lambo, amd/ati hates lambo too?

btw there are no error msg, only vpu recover asking me to send a report or not.

@fudgeboy

if only you'll see the zalman cooler on top of it :D . .

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
hey guys, im getting a lot of memory leaks with crysis warhead. my RAM usage is jumping to 2gb everytime theres is a cutscene and it crashes the game.

i checked on the warhead patch but it does not include any performance fixes.. know anything i dont?