Sign in with
Your question

Applying thermal paste

Last response: in Overclocking
February 15, 2010 1:58:20 PM

Hello I have a question about applying thermal paste to my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heat pipe Heat sink . Please see this link. http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=241...
When i installed this cooler i applied the thermal paste direct to top of the cpu all over in a thin layer as i had seen on you tube , and everything seems to be OK.
Or should i have only applied the paste to the copper pipe parts ,Will it matter about the paste going into the spaces between the copper heat pipes . Thank for your time. :) 

More about : applying thermal paste

a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2010 2:03:15 PM

Go to the thermal compound manufacturers' web site and look for application instructions. Application methods vary for different types of cpu's and heatsinks.
February 15, 2010 2:19:12 PM

in this case, i think it would be better to put a very small amount on each heatpipe and fill the spaces IN BETWEEN the heatpipes, what themal paste are you using? anyway, if everything seems ok and ur not ocing then it should be fine the way it is.
Related resources
February 15, 2010 3:35:09 PM

i have used Arctic silver 5.But do have a tube of coolermaster paste that came with the cooler .As for overclocking i have a phenom 11x4 810 @ 3.1 GHz ,stock is 2.6GHz
and under load i haven't seen the temp rise higher then 52 c as when it was on a stock amd cooler it was in the 70s under load ,so i suppose its OK then way it is.The only reason for me asking this question is that i had read in some comments somewhere that one chap had parleyed the paste direct to the pipes ,i was just wondering if i would get a better cooling this way . Maybe i need to do a few tests on paste applying different methods to this poetical cooler , but at 5 quid a tube i was hopping someone would have the same cooler but applied the paste direct onto pipes rather than the way i have (Direct onto the chip ,cover method)
February 15, 2010 3:39:03 PM

i have used Arctic silver 5.But do have a tube of coolermaster paste that came with the cooler .As for overclocking i have a phenom 11x4 810 @ 3.1 GHz ,stock is 2.6GHz
and under load i haven't seen the temp rise higher then 52 c as when it was on a stock amd cooler it was in the 70s under load ,so i suppose its OK then way it is.The only reason for me asking this question is that i had read in some comments somewhere that one chap had applyed the paste direct onto the pipes ,i was just wondering if i would get a better cooling this way . Maybe i need to do a few tests on paste applying different methods on this cooler , but at 5 quid a tube i was hopping someone would have the same cooler but applied the paste direct onto pipes rather than the way i have (Direct onto the chip ,cover method) thanks jason.
February 15, 2010 3:41:05 PM

sorry posted twice opps
February 15, 2010 4:46:40 PM

if its ok theres no reason to change it, however, besides the fact that thermal paste is expensive, no harm in trying different methods,...
February 15, 2010 6:43:45 PM

Thanks so it seems that i will leave things the way they are ,if at some point i notice heat problems with the cpu cooler then that would be the time to try . thanks for your time and have a nice day .
February 16, 2010 4:43:56 PM

Quick Update . I have some arctic silver 5 paste left so i removed the heat sink ,cleaned everything up and re-apply ed thermal paste this time direct onto the copper pipes being careful as not to spread into the voled either side of the pipes, and in 4 thin strips down the cpu where the heat pipe would make contact to the chip. Well what can i say but the my temp has dropped by another 3c under load and the same on idle ,and this should get a little better with time .So to round things up if u have this cooler then apply your thermal paste try to keep it to the copper parts only .As this has worked best for me ......
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2010 5:10:03 PM

What you did makes sense to me since you want the extra paste to go to the creases between the pipes. And had you stuck with your first method of a thin layer throughout the CPU, there would be no gaps or creases for the extra paste to moce to.
February 16, 2010 5:46:08 PM

Spot on Island Boy ... . Ive had a interesting day thanks men.
!