jquinn75

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
if i'm using the hard drive out of a laptop as a external hard drive via the rosewill 608 does it have to b renamed due to it being a c drive? i cant get it to show on my pc so there for i cant use it

suzhicheng07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
IDE LAPTOP HARD DRIVER ?I am sure the hard driver you bought is SATA mode, if it doesn't work,there are two reasons to explain it. Firstly,your hard-dise cartridge is bad.Secondly,it has been damaged on the way.

jquinn75

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010

my daugter broke the mother board on her lap top i got this rosewill 608 to get the movies and pics of it for her but after trying it on 3 other lap tops still it won't show on any comp. other then a mass storage unit i can't move it so i cant find away to get to the stuff on it. please help if you can

jquinn75

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010

i didn't buy it it came out of a working laptop. all i want is to get the info off of it

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
OK, let me try again. The rosewill 608, from my searching, will connect either a USB or a SATA drive to a USB port.

So, you have this hard drive that you are connecting to the rosewill. Do you know if the drive itself is IDE or SATA? If you don't know, post a model number. IDE drives have jumpers for certain settings that the rosewill MIGHT need (feel free to read your user manual).

How did the motherboard on the laptop get broken? It is also possible that the HD is broken as well.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know a definitive way to find whether you have an IDE or sata drive is to look at the data connection. If it is a section of the circuit board with contacts on it, it is sata, if it is a double row of pins it is IDE. In windows XP (what I'm familiar with) you should go to I think start->settings->control panel->administrative tools->device manager? I'd have to re-boot to go to windows to check. Anyway, if the drive is detected at all, it should show up in the storage section of this, whether it is installed or not. If it is here but not recognized, you should be able to get stuff off.