Sign in with
Your question

Do I need a 2 loop setup?

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 15, 2010 2:16:00 PM

Hello all, my first post just need a bit of advice from the experts. I recently built an i7 rig which is currently on air. I have overclocked the 920 to 4Ghz with just 1.26v vcore, at the moment my scythe mugen is keeping the cpu at 45/75 degrees idle/load which I don't think is bad. The problem I have is the 280GTX's in sli are getting very hot, I have a Gigabyte X58-UD5 mobo and there is no gap between the cards so the top card is only getting hot air. My idea is to go water I have purchased 2 370mm x 120mm x 40 mm radiators which will be mounted outside the case(thermaltake tsunami) which is very limited to space. I am going for Waterchill Heatkiller(LT or LC which do you recommend?) and Watercool HK GPU-X2 Nvidia G200 blocksfor the cards. What I need to know is if I get a good hi flow pump will the big rads be ok on 1 loop? because there is really no space in the case for 2 pumps and all the extra plumbing that comes with dual loop.
Thanks for your time
Ceefna

More about : loop setup

a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2010 5:14:59 AM

I don't see why one loop wouldn't be enough for your needs. Will you be passing the loop between the cards? Is there enough space for that?
February 16, 2010 11:08:04 AM

Hello r_manic, yes will be connecting the card blocks together with a purpose built block that you can get for the heatkiller. They come in 1 or 2 or 3 slots. the 1 slot type is for mobo's with 41mm between pcie slots. going to get a ddc 18w pump and making a custom cowl for the 2 rase to mount them on the side of the case. Will have 4x120mm fans sucking air through, is there any optimap gap between rad/fan to eliminate dead spots etc?

ceefna
a c 86 K Overclocking
February 16, 2010 2:50:40 PM

Yes, 10mm or more, kinda. The gains you get might not be worth the trouble. If your not heat saturating your rad to start with, the percenage of gains could be very small.

http://martin.skinneelabs.com/Radiator-Fan-Orientation-...

I'd split the loops. Your GPUs will create more heat than the CPU, thus warming the CPU water more than it needs to be.

But your fine with one big loop as long as you don't get silly with tube routing and a bunch of 90 degree fittings. Flow rate matters a lot for the CPU block.

!