Advice for P5Q Pro Turbo E8400 8GB DDR2 8500 (1066 MHz) RAM

Last response: in Overclocking
February 15, 2010 4:22:02 PM

This is my new system and I am looking for some advice overclocking:
1. using bios
2. using the software that comes with the motherbord
3. up to 3.6 GHz using the stock cooler
4. going above 3.6 GHz using add on cooler

Right now I want to overclock with the stock cpu cooler but I will move to a new cpu cooler once I get comfortable with overclocking. I've read the guides and fooled around a bit using the software tools but not really gotten anywhere yet. Wondering if anyone has done the overclocking with my motherboard, cpu and ram combo. Do you have any advide? Computer is used for general use, some home video and picture work, general internet use, MS Word, Powerpoint, Excel, downloading and managing music library, some gaming but nothing extreme.

ASUS P5Q PRO TURBO Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 MHz Processor with stock cooler
8GB RAM - OCZ DDR2 (4x2048) PC2-8500 1066 MHz Platinum Edition Dual Channel
Antec Sonata III with 500 Watts Power Supply
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Hard drive - 1 TB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 32 MB
Sapphire HD5770 Video Card
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Lite-On IHAS224-06 DVD drive
Antec Tricool 120MM DBB internal case fan

My next questions will relate to setting up a raid 1(mirroring) with a new same hard drive and then also installing my old computers 40 GB hard drive to transfer over all my files.

I'm ready to get to work!!

Thank you,
Joe
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2010 4:19:08 AM

Hey red, welcome to the forums! I would recommend you take the time to read the sticky threads in this section, starting with this one: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253365-29-core-overcl...

That details basic steps, like slowly ramping up your settings, testing stability, and the like. Good luck! :) 
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
February 19, 2010 7:15:03 AM

red4ree said:

Right now I want to overclock with the stock cpu cooler but I will move to a new cpu cooler once I get comfortable with overclocking.

You have it kind of backwards. If you know you are going to overclock, you should have installed the new HSF first. Most of the good aftermarket coolers have a back plate to help support the larger coolers. This plate mounts on the bottom of the motherboard. So unless the case motherboard tray has a larges hole under the CPU socket, you will need to remove the motherboard. I do not recommend using pushpins with a large heatsink.
m
l
!