Sign in with
Your question

Need a mobo with DDR mem to replace dead board

Last response: in Motherboards
February 21, 2009 11:09:35 PM

My old Asus P4P800 Deluxe mobo died. I have since purchased a new system but I am left with a lot of useable parts I would like to make use of. I would like to get another mobo that uses DDR memory so I can use my 3Gb of PC3500 memory, my 2 IDE HDD's and DVD burners. I do not require a blazing fast computer. This one will just be for my son to do homework on. I have a 2.4GhzC P4 processor but if I have to get another processor so be it.

If the price of getting this old system back together goes too high I will just forget it. So best case scenario I need an overclockable socket 478 mobo that has 4 DDR memory slots for dual memory operation. If need be I will get a new processor. I am not stuck to Intel. If I can get an AMD processor and board that is ok too. I would even consider a cheap used socket 478 board. I checked ebay and they are getting ridiculous prices for used Asus boards similar to mine. More than I paid for mine new actually.

Here is a list of what I am trying to reuse in parts:

2x1Gb DDR PC3500 memory
2X512Mb DDR PC3500 memory
2x WD 120GB IDE HDD's
1 Pioneer IDE DVD burner
1 Lite-On 52 IDE CD burner
Antec 430W Tru Power PSU
ASUS V9570/TD/128mb GPU AGPX8
Intel P4 2.4 Ghz CPU

This stuff isn't cutting edge but it works perfectly fine as a backup system for general use. I am not a gamer so I don't need blazing speed.
Is there a cheap board and processor combo I can get to use this stuff for awhile without spending a ton of money or not?
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 22, 2009 10:46:23 AM

Computer geeks has an asus p4sd refurb for about $50 plus shipping. Or, you can check ebay for other 865 chipset boards.
Related resources
February 22, 2009 11:06:37 AM

theAnimal said:
Linky.

That would be a nice replacement if I could find a cheap processor. But I think with a decent processor and that board I am still looking at well over $100. Not sure I want to spend that much on an old rejuvenated system. Thanks for the input however.
February 22, 2009 3:25:54 PM

donfm said:
That would be a nice replacement if I could find a cheap processor. But I think with a decent processor and that board I am still looking at well over $100. Not sure I want to spend that much on an old rejuvenated system. Thanks for the input however.

How about Celeron 430 for $40.
February 22, 2009 4:56:45 PM

o1die said:
Computer geeks has an asus p4sd refurb for about $50 plus shipping. Or, you can check ebay for other 865 chipset boards.

I did some research on that board. Although it was made by ASUS it is an OEM board for an HP computer. That board is not even listed or supported on the ASUS website. You have to get the proprietary drivers from the HP site. That for me is a deal breaker. Unless you know the HP desktop system from which the board was removed you cannot even look up the drivers on the HP website.

I was actually going to buy that board until I found that out.
February 22, 2009 5:15:35 PM

There are a couple reasonable used boards I found on Ebay.

One is the Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro-G

another is the EPOX EP-4PCA3+ for $60

another is the Albatron PM800 Pro

Are any of these any good? The Epox board looks rather interesting.
February 22, 2009 10:54:46 PM

donfm said:

Its a pentium 4 board!
February 23, 2009 12:22:28 AM

bilboe said:
Its a pentium 4 board!

Its a pentium 4 socket 775 board.....I have a pentium 4 socket 478 processor.....they aren't compatible
!