New cpu?

Saurian

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
:bounce: I just got back into the computer thing after a slight hiatus and I was wondering something. I have the K7S5a mobo running at a Athlon XP at 1261.3 mhz. I wanna clock it higher for game. Exspecially Quake ET and some others. I either want to overclock it to about 2.0 or get another cpu. How can I do this safely and if I do get another cpu what one would you guys recommend? Thanks. Reply at macholizard@hotmail.com

Jeremy

nsimo86

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
What year is this?!?!

Dude you could go out and get a $300 emachine from walmart that will be ten times faster than your machine.

Saurian

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
>Dude you could go out and get a $300 emachine from walmart that will >be ten times faster than your machine.[/quotemsg]

I know. Im poor. So what cpu would be the best for the board? thanks.

tango305

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Don't even bother upgrading that machine.
Save up, building a nice new rig nowadays isn't too expensive, a decent duo core, 4 gb's ram, and a new mobo from intel could prolly run you $200 if you look in the right places.

Saurian

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I plan on it but until then I want to be able to have at least some type of system to play some games on. I know I should not bother but I need something instead of someone telling me not to bother. Not to be rude but that wasnt the guestion even though I do appreciate it. Just what can I put in the box to give it some more speed safelly. Thanks.

An upgrade would probably be more expensive than a fresh build, due to the fact that anything for that has been out of production for some time. There is something to be said for continuing to use older (still working) hardware, but if you want performance from that, it has easily reached the point where you are far better off with replacing the major components rather than attempting something like a CPU upgrade.

nsimo86

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
what kind of games are you playing. Pretty much any game that has come out in the last few years wont run on your machine even if you upgrade it as much as possible.

jhw539

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Having just faced this myself, a new build is the best answer. But if your shoestring just doesn't stretch that far, you want to find the fastest two or three cpu's your motherboard will support (check the last manf's bios update) and then haunt ebay or craigslist - or even better, a local enthusiast's garbage can - to snag that processor. Google up overclocking recs for those processors by name to see if any particular one was good in the day for over clocking. And if you don't have one already, there is also a bundle of good-for-thier-time AGP vid cards that should be able to be had for postage. And I still don't know if that will give you anything really usable (what good is a xp 2600+ and a TNT2 based card nowadays?); could be a waste of money - 4 fps is twice as fast as 2 fps but it's still unplayable crap. On the other hand, I have a few games unopened on my shelf from 3 years ago I'd love to play that would do just fine on it (ah, the joys of being old with money, yet no time...).

nsimo86

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I could be convinced to sell you my Athlon 2200+, Asus Nforce2 mobo, 1GB DDR2700 RAM, and Geforce 6800gt. It will play games based on the source engine and Doom3 engine as well as most strategy games.