New Build BSOD - Help!

RockHardly

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
My new build just started giving me the BSOD. I powered it up a few hours ago, got through Windows Vista (32-bit) install, began installing things, showed my wife how to use, etc. ...... Then....

Internet Explorer stopped working. I reopened, it stopped working again - almost immediately.

Then, I got a BSOD and it died. I restarted in Safe Mode, didn't notice any problems, then restarted in regular to see if I could find something, and......BSOD>

Restarted to safe mode - and BSOD.

Ran a memory diagnostic (windows) - it got to the very end, and I didn't really get a result from it. The restart screens are telling me hardware problems were found, and told me to reboot from CD/DVD and repair. I tried that, Windows couldn't find anything to repair. Tried to restart - BSOD.

I'm actually on the system now (in safe mode), and I'm surprised it's lasted long enough for me to write this.

System:

E8500 Core 2 duo w/ Artic Freezer Pro 7 cooler
Giga mobo - GA-EP45-UP3P
Corsair memory: 4 gb of DDR2 800
Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 250 GB
Vid card = Asus EAH4850 512MB PCI-E2.0 x 16

I've noticed that this thing has been very cool, however lately I've sensed a little heat coming from it. BUT, when I say "a little", I mean very little. It's no where near the heat I had from my previous computer that was fine (Dell).

It seems like a cooling thing to me, just because it lasted a while then started dying like crazy - but I don't understand how I can still type on it right now without it dying. The only thing that worries me about cooling is that I used the stock cooling on the Arctic Freezer Pro (the portion "painted on" by the factory) - however I've seen many people on-line do that and recommend it. Is it possible a CPU overheat is going on?

I would like to avoid taking this to a technician (there's a MicroCenter nearby) if this is a simple fix - however I am tired of messing with this computer.

Can anyone help?

What should I do?

RockHardly

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
My power supply is a 650W Antec NeoPower Blue. Since I only have one vid card as well as only one hard drive - I was thinking it would be enough.

I just checked the CPU and system temps in BIOS right after two seperate BSOD's, and both had the CPU at 27-28 deg C and the system temp at 35 deg C.

I did not put any thermal grease in between the CPU and the motherboard - you're not supposed to put it there, correct? Only on top of the CPU in between it and the heat sink?

Anyway - no, I did not put any more thermal grease or anything like that beyond what was already installed on the Arctic Freezer. It is possible this is the problem, even though my temps aren't that high during one of these shutdowns?

Would problems with memory cause this?

Since the computer worked fine for hours before all of this - is it possible the thermal compound on the heat sink has "melted in" and did not get a good bond/contact with CPU?

I would really like to try to rule everything out but the CPU if at all possible - the heatsink was an absolute pain to put in, and I'm not looking forward to removing it.

Thank you for looking at this! Obviously, I'm not too experienced with this kind of thing and I just want this thing to work.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Windows Memory Test isn't that great, I've seen it pass many times with bad memory that Memtest86+ caught. Would suggest you download Memtest and run it for a few hours. If it makes it through without errors then you can look else where. You can download it here:

http://www.memtest.org/

Download and burn a CD with it, (follow the sites directions) insert disk and boot computer from disk.

Oh and no you don't put thermal compound between the CPU and Motherboard. You are correct it only goes between the CPU and Heatsink.

The majority of BSOD are caused by memory problems. If the memory makes it thru Memtest then go into the BIOS and make sure your memory voltage is correct.

ddc22

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Yes your Power supply seems adequate.
Yes, you are correct about the heatsink and grease.
The fact that your temps seem okay means probably investigate something else.
I agree that ruling out other issues before going back to the MOBO would be a high priority.
I built a computer one time and did not remove the tape from my CPU before seating it on the MOBO. The temps were high though and that was a big OOPS.
Another BSOD was from the battery not making contact with the motherboard.
The other obvious thing would be something with Vista? Hopefully, it is just your software.
Do you have another OS that you could temporarily install to test your hardware?
I don't have Vista and I am a novice myself but just thought I would post things that have happened to me.
Good Luck - I don't know what else to try since your power supply and temps seem okay other than perhaps something not being compatable with Vista and it might need a different driver.
It doesn't seem like a memory problem if that is any consolation.

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
START
1.test all cable connection(snug them up to be sure)
2.try running just one module of ram, try all four modules separately
3.try putting the modules in another computer(you mentioned another computer)(ONLY if they are compatible)
3.apply a pea/rice size drop of thermal compound to your HSF(sometimes the gray "Pre-applied" factory goop is not the best stuff)(even though temps seem fine most of the time you can hit heat spikes)
3.problem persist --- re-install windows
4.problem persist further remove video card and try a different one(same with your PSU try a different one) if all this fails....well im not quite sure get a new MoBo i guess cuz every thing else is ruled out...

I agree with Stoner133 that most BSOD's are caused by memory issues. Testing with Memtest86+ for at least 8 hours would be the first thing to try. You'll also want to make sure your RAM voltage and timings are set correctly in the BIOS.

RockHardly

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Thank you for all the replies and excellent advice.

I've taken the computer to a technician for help. He believes that the issue may be because I haven't updated the BIOS on the mobo. I had actually thought of doing that when the BSOD's started, but I didn't want to lock-up during a flash.

Guess I should have gone ahead and done that.

Anyway, I told him that since I am within my 30 days RMA period for the majority of the computer (only the CPU is really mine at this point), to really test each component (including memory) in order to be sure I don't get bitten by something further down the road.

I believe the memory test he's using is only going to take a half hour or so. Once I get the PC back, I will probably go ahead and do an all-night memory test on it anyway to double-check - but I'm leaning towards agreeing that the BIOS is a likely issue. I remember seeing on the Giga site that I needed to be at F4 in order to use an 8500 - and I haven't done anything with my memory timings.

Anyway - thank you for your continued support. :)

RockHardly

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Update:

Technician called me and left a message stating that he had updated my BIOS, stress tested my system a number of different ways, and then said that everything was ready for pick-up. About 20-30 minutes later he called and said that he had gotten his first BSOD.

He said that he tested the memory again right after that using a different test, and noted that one of the sticks was definately bad. He stuck some alternative memory and that it is working fine now.

So, I'll be RMA'ing my memory.

I used Corsair XMS-2 PC-6400 memory - 4gb in 2x2gb sticks. He said that the non-bad stick was testing fine.

I asked why the memory would test ok in one test, and then test bad later in another test - and he mentioned that it the system just may not have accessed the bad portion. He also mentioned possible static, thermal, and just plain bad memory issues.

When I check the Giga site for supported memory on my Mobo I mostly see sticks of 1 GB as opposed to the 2 GB sticks I would like to have. Anyone know of a good, compatible 2gb (x2) stick for a GA-EP45-UD3P?

I've had the system back home for about an hour now, installing a game + doing some other things (the exact stuff I was doing when it died last night), and so far things are OK. I just need it to last as well as get another 2Gb for it.