Samsung 226bw weird display problems

ducati996

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Everything was fine with my pc,then one day i turn it on and my monitor powers on but no display.Only the analog and digital display is on for a few seconds then the monitor turns off.The power button light is blinking,like its on standby.I then unplug everything,plug everything back and turn it back on.This time the monitor comes on,but the bios looks weird,there are jumpled up letters all other the monitor.Once windows comes on there are small blue jagged lines all over the screen.I have no idea what could be the problem,everything else seems to be working fine.I'm guessing its either the monitor or my graphics card,which is a gtx8800.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ducati996

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Tried taking out the graphics card and putting it back in.Will try a different monitor tomorrow.Does anyone know why these problems could have happened though?

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
well if it is the graphics card, it could be due to heat and old age. if its the monitor, well it sounds like something could have blown. maybe a power surge broke it. never really heard of a monitor doing stuff like this. i have the same monitor and havent had any problems so far (only had it like six months).

ducati996

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Damn,was afraid of that.The video card is a 8800GTX OC from BFG and its about 2 years old.Dont think its heat problems,because i have the zalman cooler for the card.Hope the warranty still stands.At least i think its not the monitor,just a year old!

ducati996

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks for all your replies. Just a quick question,does anyone know if you replace the stock cooler on your graphics card with bettter one,does that effect the cards warranty?

G

Same symptoms happened with me although mine was acompanied by a spinning scratching sound. Swapped the graphics card and it's no longer a problem.

In my case there was a sticker nvidia puts on top of their Quadro card's fan that appears to have melted and moved due to heat stopping the fan from turning which explains the scratching.

i would assume so