Replaced/upgraded Motherboard and Processor

sikorge

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Hello,
I replaced the MB and put in a faster Processor. The computer will not initiate the Driver disc that came with the MB and the computer then trys to start Windows and asks to "Activate" Windows before starting. How can I get the MB drivers installed and get past the activation question?

Is your XP an OEM version? If so you are going to have trouble activating it as you now have a new computer. Even if it's the retail version, the fact that you are now installing it on a new computer means that it needs re-activating. Does the question not give you the option to do this?

sikorge

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Original OEM OS was XP Home, I upgraded it to XP Pro. I can get thru the reactivation step, but what the real problem is that the instructions that came with the MB said to put the drivers cd in and reboot. The disc should have open a menu to load the drivers for the new MB but it will tries to initiate but does not start. I opened the CD on another machine to see what the Driver Install program was supposed to look like. I'm hoping after windows is reactivated I can get the drivers installed. Thanks for the info.

sikorge

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Update: I upgraded Windows to Vista (havn't purchased Windows 7 yet). Once I did that, the Drivers CD started right up like it was supposed to. I installed all applicable drivers, set up the LAN, email, printer installed automatically from the files already on the HD. New components run great and fast. Thanks for the help.