Internet randomly restarting every 5-7 minutes

natethegreatt

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I'm having a really odd problem. My internet has all of a sudden started acting up on me. It resets every 5-7 minutes. By that I mean that the my connection to the internet goes down for a few seconds (5-10 seconds) and then comes back up. Under normal circumstances this is barely noticeable and probably isn't a huge problem but I play mad amounts of video games so its affecting me severely =/

I'm pretty sure it's my PC. It started happening after I installed a wireless range extender (Netgear WGXB102) and hooked it up properly, but all other PC's connected to it I'm not having a problem with.

Does anyone have any idea on what's going on? If not can someone please help me troubleshoot this? Maybe help me access some logs?

Thanks in advanced,

Nate

natethegreatt

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I'm running wireless. The range extender has two parts: One piece plugs directly into the router/modem and the other is connect to that through wireless.

I'm almost positive it isn't the range extender because I connected directly to the modem and still had the problem.

natethegreatt

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Okay I've confirmed that the problem is with my PC. When I noticed the internet wasn't working I tried to connect to the router and it wasn't able to connect.

Also I remember when this first started I thought it was a game so I ran these commands as a suggestion from a user on the game's forum:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global chimney=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp

The person also suggested changing this area of the registry from 0 to 1:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Tcp1323Opts

It helped the disconnections but not for long. It eventually just reverted to how it was before I ran those commands. I went back into cmd and tried setting the commands to their default values which I'm not positive I was successful at (does anyone know the default/recommended values?)

Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks