Where best to install MS Office XP?

Hi
I'm preparing to upload/install Microsoft Office XP. Is it possible and or
advisable to place the program on a separate partition? If this is advisable
what are the processes and procedures for accomplishing this? I've done some
research on this but would welcome any recommendations anyone has on reading
materials. Thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about where install office

    In news:C3611EB0-500F-49A9-A0FB-04096574303F@microsoft.com,
    firewire <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I'm preparing to upload/install Microsoft Office XP. Is it
    > possible
    > and or advisable to place the program on a separate partition?

    It's possible, but there is no reason to do this. If you think
    there is, please explain why, so your concerns can be addressed.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > If
    > this is advisable what are the processes and procedures for
    > accomplishing this? I've done some research on this but would
    > welcome
    > any recommendations anyone has on reading materials. Thanks.

    Hi
    I just completed a clean reinstallation of XP home edition and it is
    performing well; very quick and stable. My concern is: I've alloted 20 GB for
    the OS out of 120, I don't want to crowd or over burden the OS but I'm also
    concerned that if I place the applications and programs on a seperate
    patition the heads of the disk drive will have to move too often. I'm not
    quite sure what the interplay is between the OS and the application/programs?
    Thanks.

    "firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I just completed a clean reinstallation of XP home edition and
    > it is
    > performing well; very quick and stable. My concern is: I've
    > alloted 20 GB for
    > the OS out of 120, I don't want to crowd or over burden the OS
    > but I'm also
    > concerned that if I place the applications and programs on a
    > seperate
    > patition the heads of the disk drive will have to move too
    > often. I'm not
    > quite sure what the interplay is between the OS and the
    > application/programs?

    It's true that the closer you put everything together the less
    the heads have to move. If you were talking about putting the
    swap file on a separate partition, this might hurt you because of
    how often you have to go back and forth to the swap file. But
    with applications and data, the effect would almost certainly be
    so small that you'd never notice it.

    You don't need to be concerned about this at all.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:C3611EB0-500F-49A9-A0FB-04096574303F@microsoft.com,
    >> firewire <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >> > I'm preparing to upload/install Microsoft Office XP. Is it
    >> > possible
    >> > and or advisable to place the program on a separate
    >> > partition?
    >>

    >> It's possible, but there is no reason to do this. If you think
    >> there is, please explain why, so your concerns can be
    >> addressed.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    >> > If
    >> > this is advisable what are the processes and procedures for
    >> > accomplishing this? I've done some research on this but
    >> > would
    >> > welcome
    >> > any recommendations anyone has on reading materials. Thanks.

    Um.. C:\Program Files is a pretty good place to put it. Seriously, why
    would you feel a need to install the Office suite to a different folder?
    McG.

    "firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I'm preparing to upload/install Microsoft Office XP. Is it possible and or
    > advisable to place the program on a separate partition? If this is
    > advisable
    > what are the processes and procedures for accomplishing this? I've done
    > some
    > research on this but would welcome any recommendations anyone has on
    > reading
    > materials. Thanks.

    Hi
    I don't have a burning desire to separate the OS from the applications; when
    I planned my reinstallation I did quite a bit of research and some of the
    data suggested that separating the OS from the progams and applications would
    be a good way to go.

    "McGrandpa" wrote:

    > Um.. C:\Program Files is a pretty good place to put it. Seriously, why
    > would you feel a need to install the Office suite to a different folder?
    > McG.
    >
    > "firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > I'm preparing to upload/install Microsoft Office XP. Is it possible and or
    > > advisable to place the program on a separate partition? If this is
    > > advisable
    > > what are the processes and procedures for accomplishing this? I've done
    > > some
    > > research on this but would welcome any recommendations anyone has on
    > > reading
    > > materials. Thanks.

    I believe doing it that way works best when you install it on a different
    partition on a different hard disk.

    firewire wrote:
    > Hi
    > I don't have a burning desire to separate the OS from the applications; when
    > I planned my reinstallation I did quite a bit of research and some of the
    > data suggested that separating the OS from the progams and applications would
    > be a good way to go.

    Whomever claimed such a thing would have to have been woefully ignorant
    of the way modern operating systems and applications interact.

    There's really very little point in having a separate drive or
    partition for just applications. Should you ever have to reinstall the
    OS, you'll still have to reinstall each and every application and game
    anyway, in order to recreate the hundreds (possibly thousands) of
    registry entries and to replace the dozens (possibly hundreds) of
    essential system files back into the appropriate Windows folders and
    sub-folders. Placing applications on a separate drive/partition is a
    useful solution only if your system partition lacks sufficient space for
    all of your applications, and you cannot readily resize it.

    However, placing data files on a partition or physical hard drive
    separate from the operating system and applications can greatly simplify
    system repairs/recoveries and data back-up.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    RonK wrote:
    > I believe doing it that way works best when you install it on a different
    > partition on a different hard disk.

    "Believe?" Is this some new religion I haven't heard of? There's
    certainly no technical reason for such a practice, although there's
    sufficient technical reasons *not* to do it.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Yes..... choose the Custom Install option and you can put it where you want.
    Remember some files (such as Common Files and Registry Entries) HAVE to go
    onto the C: drive, but most of the software will be on another drive and/or
    partition.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I'm preparing to upload/install Microsoft Office XP. Is it possible and or
    > advisable to place the program on a separate partition? If this is
    > advisable
    > what are the processes and procedures for accomplishing this? I've done
    > some
    > research on this but would welcome any recommendations anyone has on
    > reading
    > materials. Thanks.

    My reply was if he was going to install on a separate partition. I did not
    mean it was better than just installing on the OS Partition.

    > RonK wrote:
    >> I believe doing it that way works best when you install it on a different
    >> partition on a different hard disk.
    >>

    > "Believe?" Is this some new religion I haven't heard of? There's
    > certainly no technical reason for such a practice, although there's
    > sufficient technical reasons *not* to do it.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    <snip #1>

    When performing a clean install, Microsoft recommends that NTFS be used
    and that the system be installed in a single partition on each disk. Under Windows XP,
    big partitions are better managed than in previous versions of Windows.
    Forcing installed software into several partitions on the disk necessitates longer seeks
    when running the system and software."

    <end of snip #1>

    Benchmarking on Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/benchmark.mspx

    NTFS Preinstallation and Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/winpreinst/ntfs-preinstall.mspx

    <snip #2>

    Microsoft implemented certain disk-layout optimizations in Windows XP.
    To perform this optimization, during idle time Windows XP moves pages
    used for booting the system and launching frequently used applications to
    ensure these files are laid out contiguously on the hard disk. The contiguous
    disk layout of these pages results in reduced disk seeks and improved disk I/O,
    contributing to improved boot time and application launch time.

    Windows XP does not perform these optimizations across volumes. Therefore,
    for this optimization to be available to users, the hard disk must be partitioned
    as a single volume.

    <end of snip #2>

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "firewire" wrote:

    | Hi
    | I'm preparing to upload/install Microsoft Office XP. Is it possible and or
    | advisable to place the program on a separate partition? If this is advisable
    | what are the processes and procedures for accomplishing this? I've done some
    | research on this but would welcome any recommendations anyone has on reading
    | materials. Thanks.

Microsoft Office Windows XP